History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Carmunnock, Kirk Road, Carmunnock Parish Church and Churchyard Including Gatepiers and Watch House

A Category B Listed Building in Linn, Glasgow

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7903 / 55°47'25"N

Longitude: -4.2358 / 4°14'8"W

OS Eastings: 259912

OS Northings: 657487

OS Grid: NS599574

Mapcode National: GBR 3S.8B6R

Mapcode Global: WH3PG.XQ4F

Entry Name: Carmunnock, Kirk Road, Carmunnock Parish Church and Churchyard Including Gatepiers and Watch House

Listing Date: 12 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 376940

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33322

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Linn

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Carmunnock

Description

Rebuilt 1762-7, repairs 1838-40. T-plan parish church,
orientated E-W suggesting possible use of pre-
reformation site and perhaps also of some fabric. BODY OF
CHURCH is rubble-built - coursed and squared in areas
(eg at N end of W gable); blocks mostly diagonally
droved; ashlar dressings; square and round-headed
openings (arched window-heads not original); straight
forestair on each gable, stone-built porch at head
of each; handsome 18th century bellcote over projecting
breast on E gable. Skews with moulded skewputts. Main N
wall is shallow outset central with gabled low circa
1819 vestry adjoining. Stuart of Castlemilk family AISLE
central on S wall and built mid/later 18th century;
vault, with loft over; mainly diagonally droved
(horizontally droved W wall) and with raised margins,
keystoned flat-lintelled doorways; cill band at loft,
moulded skewputts, skew end moulding run horizontally
below apex stack; main cornice; scale-and-platt
forestair to loft door in E re-entrant angle; central
doorway to vault on S gable. Vault walls lined with
plain marble panels late 19th/early 20th century; jack-
arched ceiling and wrought-iron gate presumably
contemporary.
INTERIOR: mainly 19th century, gallery with panelled
front at either end supported on pair cast-iron columns
each also with stone corbel set at S end, at window
ingoe; aisle gallery now used as organ loft with room
behind; octagonal pulpit set central on N wall in
shallow outset; 4 leaded windows behind pulpit, by
Norman Macleod MacDougall, a World War 1 memorial.
CHURCHYARD: enclosed mainly by rubble-built walls,
corniced (? 1760s gatepiers to Kirk Road with domed
caps; headstones and table tombs mainly 18th-19th
centuries; burial place of Norman Macleod MacDougall and
of John Lawson, artists.
WATCH HOUSE beside gate; small and gabled, door on N
flank; rubble, with ashlar dressings, slate roof;
contains painted notice of instructions for watch, 1828.
1648 bell now lost.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.