This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8641 / 55°51'50"N
Longitude: -4.32 / 4°19'11"W
OS Eastings: 254908
OS Northings: 665873
OS Grid: NS549658
Mapcode National: GBR 05K.CM
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.MV2V
Plus Code: 9C7QVM7J+M2
Entry Name: General, Fairfield Shipyard And Engine Works, 1048 Govan Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 1030, 1048 Govan Road, Govan Shipbuilders Ltd, General Offices (Excluding 1956 Extension to W).
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376977
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33356
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Govan
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Honeyman and Keppie, dated 1890. Long classic 2-storey red ashlar office block.
Central 3-bay section: ground floor channelled ashlar, polished above. Advanced wide central bay with architraved and pedimented doorpiece supporting mermaids, set in arched panel; flanking statues of a mariner and a shipwright on trireme podia. Dentil cornice forms base for pedimented temple with 2 inner Corinthian columns fronting 3 large mullion and transom stained glass windows; balustrade over main entrance. 2 flanking cross windows with pilasters; 8 bays to either side with 1st floor pilastraded drawing offices. 3-storey tower at W end, Doric columned openings at 2nd floor. 6 bays to W with arched ground floor windows and blocked pedimented door dated 1890. 1st floor pilastrade. E end: E-facing pediment over pilasters, intersected by 1903 addition for gangway to new offices. 1-storey lodge with arched entrance and bipartites to E. 2 tall domed gatepiers, channelled at base.
Brick rear with ashlar band course and details. Curved section at E with arched 2nd floor windows and ashlar parapet. 3-storey square Italianate water tower with arched door and arched bipartite 1st floor window. Water tank, behind balustrade, is carried on brick piers and
Nearly all windows to N and S are original sash and case 2-pane below, 9-pane above. M-roof, slate and glass, modern behind pediment.
Interior: mosaic floor in vestibule with modern "GS" insertion, ornate wrought-iron banister to stairs. Board room: fine carved wooden fireplace with portrait of Sir Wm Pearce, walls two thirds panelled. Geometric plaster ceiling, Corinthian columns and stained glass windows.
Arched corridors. 1st floor an open drawing office with wooden beams to M-roof and cast-iron columns supporting valley.
1956 extension to west not part of the listing.
Other nearby listed buildings