This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8721 / 55°52'19"N
Longitude: -4.2573 / 4°15'26"W
OS Eastings: 258858
OS Northings: 666628
OS Grid: NS588666
Mapcode National: GBR 0LG.2R
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.KNXR
Plus Code: 9C7QVPCV+R3
Entry Name: City Of Glasgow Grain Mills And Stores, 4-6 Speirs Wharf, Port Dundas, Glasgow
Listing Name: 4-38 (Even Nos) Speirs Wharf
Listing Date: 15 January 1985
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377419
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33619
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Canal
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1851 onwards, former City of Glasgow Grain Mills and Stores, all now (1991) converted for flats. Comprises 2 differing units of design: Southern section. Originally all 5 storey, 31 windows long, extended to 37 later, and 13th to 19th bays heightened to 6 storey, all with identical treatment. Elevation to canal courses with distinctive chevron tooling, belt course at 1st floor level and margined openings. Loading doors at all levels vertically integrated in tall margined recesses with stone bracketted open pediment hoods 10th, 16th, 24th, 28th and 34th bays, that at 16th forming the centre bay of the seven bay 5-storey section. Segmentally arched loading door at 6th bay and semi-elliptical one set in antae at 21st (No 206). Ground floor 30 to 34th bays altered. S end double-pile with 4 windows wide piended roof, S elevation returns on to rear elevation on Craighall Road for 11 bays with 4 storeys above pavement level and 2 loading bays, central section single pile at upper levels with single storey outbuildings to Craighall Road, later widening to double pile at N end with segmentally arched windows, (5 bays at 3 storey and 7 at 4 storey), all in red brick with white brick dressings and dentilled cornice. Slated roofs with fire-break gables. Internal replaced in concrete at lower levels.
NORTHERN SECTION: Dated 1861 at pediment. 6-storey and basement droved ashlar 16 window elevation with band course between 3rd and 4th floor windows. segment headed windows all floors except top, open based pediment at 6th and 7th bays. Original wheel anchor plates at ground 1st and 2nd floors. Deepended on plan to Craighall road
later 4 storey basement 10-window red brick elevatiuon with single-storey lean-to of paired windows terminating in 2-storey outshot with arched windows at S end. Unusual internal construction, 3-aisle plan with longitudinal jack arches on stocky cast-iron columns. Timber floors on cast-iron columns above.
Built for John Currie & Co. Major enlargements are known to have been made in 1969-70. Formerly had 20 pairs of stones and 100 hp condensing engine.
Other nearby listed buildings