This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8482 / 55°50'53"N
Longitude: -4.1988 / 4°11'55"W
OS Eastings: 262433
OS Northings: 663848
OS Grid: NS624638
Mapcode National: GBR 0YR.XB
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.G8SK
Plus Code: 9C7QRRX2+7F
Entry Name: Calton Old Parish Church And Halls, 122 Helenvale Street, Glasgow
Listing Name: 122 Helenvale Street, Calton Parkhead Church Including Hall, Boundary Wall, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 23 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377459
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33636
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
N ELEVATION: entrance front, with pair of doorways beneath trio of stepped lancet windows. Single window to NE aisle. E ELEVATION: paired round-headed windows to clerestorey. Rectangular windows to aisle. Single lancet to NE transept. Trio of lancets to SE transept. S elevation: apsidal projection with dropped roof. Trio of lancets with coloured glass. Square chimneystack rising from ground. N hall, with flank to E: 3 sets of windows in Serlian arrangement, breaking through eaves. S hall, with gable to E: Serlian arrangement on gable. S elevation harled and with lancets breaking through eaves.
Multi-pane leaded glazing, some coloured glass. Rosemary tiles.
INTERIOR: basilica arrangement with brick arcades supported on grey stone columns. Plastered barrel vault with brick ridges and timber tie beams. Dias beneath chancel arch. Timber pews, pulpit and fittings. Transverse arrangement of pews in aisles. Stained glass includes crucifixion in chancel (1970) and St Luke in aisle (1971), by Gordon Webster.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATES AND RAILINGS: dwarf walls with metal railings and gates to boundary.
Place of worship in use as such. Parkhead Church is a good early to mid 20th century example of the Neo-Romanesque style in Glasgow with the hall and church creating a well-balanced ensemble piece. The accomplished interior scheme is also of particular note. David Bateman Hutton (1880-1959) and Thomas Lumsden Taylor (1881-1944) were respected designers with an impressive pedigree by the time they started in practice together in 1906. Both had worked with James Miller, and Taylor had also been with Rowand Anderson & Paul and an assistant to John Honeyman. They built two churches, both won in competition and both in the neo-Romanesque style popular in the early 1930s. King's Park Parish Church (1931), in Castlemilk (see separate listing) has more of a Byzantine flavour. They won the competition for Newbank Church and Hall, now Calton Parkhead, using similar ideas but with a simpler more accomplished approach.
The original Calton Church was built in Tobago Street in 1793, it was one of the first Chapels of Ease to be established in the Barony Parish. In 1905 a small mission church had been built at the Helenvale Street site, and this was the site chosen for the current building. Named Calton Old (Newbank) Church when it opened in 1935, the building was renamed Calton Parkhead in 1977 when it was joined by the congregations of Parkhead Church and Dalmarnock Church.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings