This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8079 / 55°48'28"N
Longitude: -4.2216 / 4°13'17"W
OS Eastings: 260862
OS Northings: 659417
OS Grid: NS608594
Mapcode National: GBR 3T.71FT
Mapcode Global: WH4QM.38ZX
Plus Code: 9C7QRQ5H+59
Entry Name: Barlia Terrace, 59 Machrie Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 59 Machrie Road, Barlia Terrace, Castlemilk House Stables
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377607
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33720
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Linn
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Attributed to David Hamilton (see Notes). Circa 1800 Classical former stable block to now-demolished Castlemilk House comprising quadrangular plan of 4 ranges around courtyard; converted Elder & Cannon architects 2005-07 on behalf of Glasgow Building Preservation Trust to multi-purpose community facility.
PRINCIPAL (NORTH) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 9-bays with slightly advanced central and outer bays. Single storey with single storey and attic gabled outer bays with coach house openings to ground and Diocletian windows to attic. Diagonally droved ashlar with polished dressings and raised margins. Base course, cill course, eaves band, round-arched openings. Impressive central 3-stage tower with rusticated pend at ground and octagonal top stage with bays divided by pilasters; slated dome surmounted by balustered cupola with weathervane.
COURTYARD ELEVATION OF NORTH RANGE: Elder and Cannon 2005-07 3-storey glass and steel addition.
Variety of multi-pane glazing patterns to timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates.
INTERIOR: comprehensively modernised to form multi-purpose community facility (2005-07). Contains oak chimneypiece relocated from Castlemilk House (see Notes).
The former Castlemilk Stables is a good example of a Classical style stable block and it is one of the few remaining structures relating to the Castlemilk Estate. It is an important architectural survival in this part of Glasgow. The attribution to David Hamilton, one of the leading architects of the time, is based on a perspective watercolour drawing of the stable block signed by him which was shown to the Glasgow Building Preservation Trust during the conversion works (see their website for further information). The building depicted is understood to be somewhat different from what was constructed. Adding further weight to the stable block attribution is the knowledge that Hamilton is also attributed to later 1830s remodelling and extension work at the now-demolished Castlemilk House.
David Hamilton (1768-1843) was an important Glasgow-based architect who worked mostly in the West of Scotland and who made a significant contribution to Scotland's early 19th century architectural character.
Located a short distance to the South of Castlemilk House, the stable block would have been intended to be seen and to impress visitors with its grandeur. It was a visible symbol of the wealth and taste of the owner. Constructed in the then-fashionable Classical style, its quadrangular plan-form and symmetrical principal elevation are characteristic of the rationality associated with this period.
Glasgow Corporation bought the Castlemilk Estate in 1938 as part of their plans to create additional housing on the outskirts of the city. Building work began in 1954 and Castlemilk Stables is one of the few historic buildings to survive. Castlemilk House dated from the late medieval period and was extended to a castellated mansion in the 18th and 19th centuries. It was demolished in 1972. The enormous 19th century oak chimneypiece depicting the 1429 Siege of Orleans which was formerly located in the main hall of Castlemilk House was saved during the demolition of the house and was relocated to the foyer of the stable block as part of the 2005-07 conversion.
The 2005-07 conversion by Elder & Cannon architects has won a number of architectural awards including joint winner of the 2008 RIAS Andrew Doolan Best Building in Scotland Award. The building has now passed into the care of the Cassiltoun Trust and functions as a multi-purpose community facility.
List description updated 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings