History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Agnes Roman Catholic Church, 694 Balmore Road, Glasgow

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.8958 / 55°53'44"N

Longitude: -4.2636 / 4°15'48"W

OS Eastings: 258554

OS Northings: 669278

OS Grid: NS585692

Mapcode National: GBR 0J6.S8

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.G2YJ

Plus Code: 9C7QVPWP+8H

Entry Name: St Agnes Roman Catholic Church, 694 Balmore Road, Glasgow

Listing Name: 694 Balmore Road, St Agnes Church (Roman Catholic) with Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Railings

Listing Date: 6 April 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377631

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33738

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Canal

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Tagged with: Catholic church building

Find accommodation in


Pugin and Pugin, architects, John Devlin and Son, builders, 1893-4; interior decorated, 1913. Large Gothic church, rectangular-plan with lean-to aisles to 5-sided apse. Red sandstone, bull-faced, with ashlar dressings. Base course, set-off buttresses, moulded eaves course. Ashlar mullions and cusped tracery; chamfered reveals.

W ELEVATION: gable to nave with angle buttresses; narrow window at centre with quatrefoil, flanked by 2 pointed arch entrances set in bold gabled and advanced panels, with deep-set doors, moulded surrounds and hoodmoulds; 2 short flights of steps. Cill courses to large 5-light, hoodmoulded and curvilinear - traceried pointed window above. 3-light round-arched window at apex, stepping up in quatrefoil at centre.

Ashlar cross finial.

E ELEVASTION: 5-sided full-height buttressed apse; hoodmoulded, 2-light traceried lancets in upper portion of each bay. Decorative iron cross finial.

S ELEVATION: 7-bay. Lean-to aisle at ground with gablet capped angle buttresses, pilasteres dividing bays and cill course to windows; 5 segmentally arched cusped 3-light windows to centre bays, 2 single lights to each outer bay. Paired cusped 2-lights to each bay in clerestorey above and behind, with gablet capped buttress dividing nave from chancel after penultimate bay to right. W return elevation with pointed 3-light window, E return with quatrefoiled rose window, both hoodmoulded.

N ELEVATION: 7-bays, detailed similarly to S elevation. Outer bay to right with anrrow pointed arch doorway and flanking lancet. Two stepped lancets on W return, lighting gallery stair. Sacristy projecting from outer left bays, gabled elevations to E and W, with 4-centred tripartites to N.

Lead diamond-pane glazing pattern. Grey slates to steeply pitched roof; decorative clay ridge tiles; ashlar coped skews. Cusped, bipartite pointed arch ventilating panels to base course.

INTERIOR: Pugin and Pugin, 1913, executred by McCulloch and Co, with lavish details. Pointed arch arcade on polygonal ashlar columns to aisles; tall chancel arch with nook shaft; moulded surrounds and archivolt to arches. Rendered walls with silver-grey paint; gilded quatrefoil stencils with emblems to spandrels. Open roof with ashlar corbelled timber braces dividing clerestorey bays. Gallery above vestibule to W, with pierced, cusped balustrade. Stencilled and gilded blue dado to apse, stencilled frieze and gilded stars to ceiling. Hoodmoulded and cusped ashlar aumbry. Two fine tripartite altars to side chapels, with marble nook shafts and mosaic panels; statue of Our Lady in canopied niche at centre of right-hand altar, of Jesus Christ to left. Outstanding multi-alabaster Gothic pulpit, ornately carved, and pierced altar rail with colonettes, in marble and alabaster, en suite. Fine brass gates to altar rail, and decorative bracket to sanctuary lamp.

GATEPIERS, BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: chamfered red sandstone ashlar piers with gablet caps; ashlar coped, bull-faced base course to wrought-iron railings with decorateive panels.

Statement of Interest

The memorial stone was laid on 23 May 1893, and it was opened on 24 June 1894, seating 1000, and costing over [6,000, before decoration of the interior began.

The 2-storey Presbytery, 664 Balmore Road, is linked to the church at NE.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.