This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8508 / 55°51'2"N
Longitude: -4.2292 / 4°13'45"W
OS Eastings: 260543
OS Northings: 664205
OS Grid: NS605642
Mapcode National: GBR 0RQ.RD
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.06DJ
Entry Name: 309-341 (Odd Nos) Abercromby Street, Burial Ground
Listing Date: 16 March 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377840
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33811
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
MONUMENTS: series of 18th and 19th century stone monuments some set into boundary walls some freestanding; some with inscribed ashlar plot markers (see NOTES). 2 later (1831 and 1931) rectangular sandstone panels set into later sandstone ashlar triangular pedimented panel commemorating martyred weavers from 1787 strike (see NOTES).
The Calton Burial Ground is an early and rare example of an independent non-denominational burial ground in Glasgow. It is also important historically as the last surviving built component of the early independent weavers settlement at Calton.
Sited on ground between a former cotton mill and an iron foundry, it contains some good examples of burial markers from the period 1786 to the late 19th century. A number of the plots are marked with unusual single sandstone ashlar blocks with inscribed numbers, a device seen in later burial grounds elsewhere in the city.
The burial ground also contains a monument to the martyrs of the 1787 weavers strike. Three men from a group of striking weavers, protesting at changes to the price paid to weavers for muslin, killed by the military are interred in the burial ground. A weavers memorial is also set at the entrance to the 1822 extension. The 'martyrs memorial' has been re-located from the original burial lair of the three weavers at plot 83 to the boundary wall of the cemetery with renovation and possible replacement of the stones in 1831 and 1931. The original burial site at plot 83 is marked by a later pair of granite slabs (now cracked and laid on the ground - 2010) erected by the Glasgow Trades Council in 1957.
List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings