This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8534 / 55°51'12"N
Longitude: -4.2458 / 4°14'44"W
OS Eastings: 259513
OS Northings: 664521
OS Grid: NS595645
Mapcode National: GBR 0NP.DG
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.R4DK
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ33+8M
Entry Name: Maclennan Arch, Glasgow Green, Glasgow
Listing Name: Glasgow Green, Saltmarket Maclennan Arch
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 377886
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33841
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Triumphal archway, moved to present location 1991-2. composed of fragments salvaged from R & J Adam's Glasgow Assembly Rooms of 1792-6 which was demolished circa 1890. Fragments were first re-assembled under direction of John Carrick, city architect, 1894, and placed in Jail Square, moved 1922 to Glasgow Green, where it served as a terminus to the view down Charlotte Street. Having begun to tilt over, it required dismantling, and the opportunity was taken to move it to the present site, opposite William Stark's Courthouse.
One face has Ionic olumns, the other, pilasters.
Other nearby listed buildings