History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

117 Greenhead Street, Glasgow

A Category B Listed Building in Calton, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.8466 / 55°50'47"N

Longitude: -4.2307 / 4°13'50"W

OS Eastings: 260430

OS Northings: 663740

OS Grid: NS604637

Mapcode National: GBR 0RR.GW

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.Z9JR

Plus Code: 9C7QRQW9+JP

Entry Name: 117 Greenhead Street, Glasgow

Listing Name: 117-127 (Odd Nos) Greenhead Street, 91-101 (Odd Nos) Tullis Street

Listing Date: 6 March 1981

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 377905

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33847

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Calton

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in


1866. Classically-detailed 4-storey, 16-bay tenement in prominent position overlooking Glasgow Green with canted angle at single bay corner elevation. Polished yellow ashlar, channelled at ground W, with ashlar dressings. Band course over ground floor, cill course at 1st and 3rd floors, eaves lintel course, cornice and balustraded parapet punctuated by broad wallhead stacks. Architraved windows above ground floor, those to 1st and 2nd floors corniced and those to 2nd floor bracketed. Stone mullions.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: principal elevation to Greenhead Street (W) with doors at bays 3, 8, 12 and 15. Variety of single and bipartite windows aligned vertically, and blocked above ground at bays 3 and 8. 4 symmetrically placed wallhead stacks linking parapet with fireclay balusters. Single window to each floor of canted bay at NW corner and 7 similarly detailed single window bays (blocked above ground at bays 6 and 7) to Tullis Street.

Largely 4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate. Corniced ashlar wallhead stacks with full-complement of cans. Dwarf wall at principal elevation with cast iron railings.

Statement of Interest

A long row of dignified tenements complemented by those at Nos 97-113 Greenhead Street on the north side of Tullis Street (see separate listing). When originally built these two fine classically-detailed buildings overlooked the open space of the King's Park area of Glasgow Green, developed in the 20th century to form a bowling green and War Memorial garden. Tullis Street was renamed from John Street, in 1926 in recognition of the Tullis family who came from Arbroath in 1854 and opened St Ann's Leatherworks in 1870. The factory site is now (2010) Tullis Court.

The Dictionary of Scottish Architects notes that plans of the 'Layout of Greenhead Street', dated 1868, are signed by John Carrick, Glasgow City Architect. Carrick became Glasgow's Superintendent of Streets in 1844, he was appointed Master of Works circa 1854 and was City Architect from 1862-69.

List description revised as part of the Glasgow East End listing review, 2010.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.