This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8095 / 55°48'34"N
Longitude: -4.2719 / 4°16'18"W
OS Eastings: 257720
OS Northings: 659696
OS Grid: NS577596
Mapcode National: GBR 3R.7202
Mapcode Global: WH3PG.C70P
Plus Code: 9C7QRP5H+R7
Entry Name: Cannon Cinema, Muirend, 380 Clarkston Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 380 Clarkston Road, Former Toledo Cinema
Listing Date: 9 January 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378074
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33920
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Linn
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
William Inglis as the Toledo Cinema, 1933; converted to flats 2001. Spanish/American composition; big symmetrical tripartite street front, ornately-detailed throughout with large transomed tripartite window with decorative glazing to projecting centre gable flanked by tiny cantilevered and consoled balconettes in re-entrant angles. Base red ashlar, remainder rendered. Decorative frieze over original 2nd floor windows.
The Toledo Cinema was built to seat 1,598. It was a rare example of 'atmospheric' cinema design, where an escapist fantasy style was created, in this case a Spanish/American theme. The auditorium was divided in 1982 to accommodate three screens with Cinema 2 using the old front stalls and original proscenium opening. When it closed on 21 October 2001, this was the last ABC Cinema in Glasgow. The architect, William Beresford Inglis, designed other cinemas as well as the former Beresford Hotel (now converted to flats). When converted to flats, the façade was retained and windows were added to the 2nd floor and the prominent centre gablehead was reinstated from flat to curvilinear. The Cinema Theatre Association note that the entrance foyer to the flats features reproductions of some decorative features from the auditorium, and some tiles and light-fittings.
List description including References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings