History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Joe Coral Snooker Hall, 18 Moss-Side Road, Glasgow

A Category A Listed Building in Pollokshields, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.8312 / 55°49'52"N

Longitude: -4.2817 / 4°16'54"W

OS Eastings: 257180

OS Northings: 662131

OS Grid: NS571621

Mapcode National: GBR 0FY.3D

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.6PBL

Plus Code: 9C7QRPJ9+F8

Entry Name: Joe Coral Snooker Hall, 18 Moss-Side Road, Glasgow

Listing Name: 18 Moss-Side Road, Frankfort Street, Bertram Street, Former Waverley Cinema

Listing Date: 17 June 1992

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 378104

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33941

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Pollokshields

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in


Watson, Salmond and Gray, 1922, as Waverley Cinema. Large block, with 3 street elevations; red ashlar, some late 17th century detailing; original glazing. Lead-domed recessed and curved SE corner bay, big entrance, painted and with pair giant Egyptianised columns; centre doored 6-bay range to Moss-Side Road, part concealed by trees; 1-3-1 front to Frankfort Street, sculptured roundels over inner windows; attic storey above main cornice. Main roof slated and tarred, big roof ventilator; plain elevation to Bertram Street.

Statement of Interest

Up-graded B to A 25 November, 1993.

An unusual design with a striking domed entrance corner, the former Waverley Cinema is an important part of the streetscape. It is an early purpose-built cinema, an increasingly rare building type in a city closely associated with the genre. Watson, Salmond and Gray were more associated with commercial and hospital work and this may have been their only cinema design. With a seating capacity of 1,320, the Waverley Cinema opened in December 1922. It was renamed the ABC in 1964 and closed as a cinema in 1973. After use as a bingo hall, and then a snooker club from 1982, it was empty by 2002. It was later sold and converted to a bar/restaurant/club. Information from the Cinema Theatre Association suggests that interior features remain, particularly plasterwork and ironmongery to the foyer and barrel-vaulted auditorium.

References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.