History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holm Foundry, 147 Newlands Road, Glasgow

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8184 / 55°49'6"N

Longitude: -4.2657 / 4°15'56"W

OS Eastings: 258137

OS Northings: 660674

OS Grid: NS581606

Mapcode National: GBR 3R.6HDF

Mapcode Global: WH3PG.F0YV

Plus Code: 9C7QRP9M+9P

Entry Name: Holm Foundry, 147 Newlands Road, Glasgow

Listing Name: 147-149 (Odd Nos) Newlands Road, Weir Pumps Ltd Cathcart Works, Offices and Amenity Building

Listing Date: 17 June 1992

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 378110

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33947

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Langside

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Pair of large, near identical ranges fronting Newlands Road with the entrance in recessed narrow link. The west range built 1912 to a design purchased from Albert Kahn s Trussed Concrete Steel Co (USA): steel-framed, with concrete, multi-paned glazed infil panels, horizontal courses with classical mouldings. It is 4-storeys, with a set back 5th storey added by James Miller, 1928-9.

Externally identical (minus 5th storey) east range built 1949-51. Facade only listed, as forms group with west range and amenity building.

Wrought-iron gates with Art Nouveau ornament.

Assymetrical Amenity Block to east built 1937 by Wylie, Shanks and Wylie Architects. White-rendered with streamlining.

Statement of Interest

Kahn s range design was previously used for the Packhard Automoblile Co. Number 10 factory in Detroit.

All buildings in the works not specifically mentioned in the list description are excluded from the listing. The firm of G & J Weir built the Holm Foundry, primarily to construct a range of marine auxiliary machinery, including the world famous Weir boiler feed pump. During the First World War the company made more aircraft than any other Scottish firm. The innovative attitudes of the company are reflected in the quality of the listed buildings. The Social and Welfare Building contained facilities for education, recreation and relaxation, including a rest room and a canteen, plus a lounge, library, cinema and gymnasium.

Listed building updated in 2020 to correct spelling of Miller and references added.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.