This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8755 / 55°52'31"N
Longitude: -4.3201 / 4°19'12"W
OS Eastings: 254946
OS Northings: 667136
OS Grid: NS549671
Mapcode National: GBR 05F.CK
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.ML14
Plus Code: 9C7QVMGH+5X
Entry Name: Balshagray Parish Church, 230 Broomhill Drive, Glasgow
Listing Name: 230 Broomhill Drive, Broomhill Cross, Balshagray Church with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378159
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33973
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Victoria Park
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Stewart and Paterson, 1907-12 (foundation stone insode dated 30 May 1908). Cruciform church with halls adjoining at rear, in Arts and Crafts interpretation of Curvilinear/Perpendicular Gothic style; aisled with porch at NW end of principal elevation balanced by transept projecting to street. Snecked and stugged red sandstone ashlar with polished dressings; hoodmoulds and basecourse. Slate roofs. built on sloping ground, with boundary wall.
N ELEVATION: steps to 2-stage shallow gabled PORCH with panelled door and iron hinge detail, set in moulded surround with quatrefoils in spandrels. 2nd stage offset, with central Gothic niche flanked by 2 windows. Buttressed NAVE 3 pointed arched traceried windows, parapet above. TRANSEPT advanced and buttressed with paired tall, pointed arched windows. TAll traceried nave window to buttressed gable of W elevation, balanced by similar treatment of hall gable end to right. Plain chancel gable, obscured from road but with large traceried window. Stair tower projecting to S. Ashlar skews with kneelers, cruciform finials to W and S gables.
INTERIOR: aisled; each aisle with 2 slender piers. Ashlar, with timber hammerbeam roof, panelling and pews. Galleried S transept and W end; panelled with Art Nouveau detailing, glazed screen to W. Carved altar table and screen flanked by cased organ pipes. Memorial stained glass windows to the Fallen of the First World War (chancel), Scottish Industries by Sadie McLellan 1950, in memory of Mrs David B Christie (north transept), john W Arneil window, died 1923 (north aisle). Halls and offices to S and E.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: ashlar, with wrought-iron gates and low railings to street.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Balshagray is a variant of a group of Glasgow churches which might have their flank to the street, with the porch at the right hand end linked to the chancel at the left by a narrow side aisle. St James, Pollock (formerly Pollockshields Titwood) by H E Clifford in 1893-5 and Cathcart Old Parish Church, begun in 1914 by Clifford and Lunan are among other examples.
Other nearby listed buildings