This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8556 / 55°51'20"N
Longitude: -4.2296 / 4°13'46"W
OS Eastings: 260536
OS Northings: 664740
OS Grid: NS605647
Mapcode National: GBR 0RN.PN
Mapcode Global: WH4QF.026T
Plus Code: 9C7QVQ4C+75
Entry Name: Commercial Bank Of Scotland, 480 Gallowgate, Glasgow
Listing Name: 480a and 480b Gallowgate, Elcho Street
Listing Date: 16 March 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378160
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33974
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James McCallum, Master of Works, Commercial Bank, 1936, as the Gallowgate branch of the Commercial Bank of Scotland. Single storey corner building, with art deco ornament, entrance tower set at angle of corner with bank crest over door, bucranium high above (an allusion to the meat market and abattoir opposite), fluted detail and clock. 2 large windows on either street front, with stepped ingoes. Faced with polished grey and black granite; concealed roof.
Reinforced concrete layout by F A. Macdonald and Partners, Glasgow. Subdivided and converted to residential use, 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings