This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9562 / 55°57'22"N
Longitude: -4.8295 / 4°49'46"W
OS Eastings: 223452
OS Northings: 677296
OS Grid: NS234772
Mapcode National: GBR 09.XM23
Mapcode Global: WH2M8.SKF9
Plus Code: 9C7QX54C+F6
Entry Name: Jubilee Drinking Fountain, Albert Road, Gourock
Listing Name: Albert Road, Jubilee Drinking Fountain
Listing Date: 29 March 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378161
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33975
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverclyde West
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Walter Macfarlane & Co, 1897. Cast-iron drinking fountain (now redundant) erected for Queen Victoria's Silver Jubilee. 4 slender columns on granite slab supporting round-arched dome with foliate open-work; 2 winged dragons to corner facing road; 2 vignettes of Victoria inscribed Jubilee 1897, 2 cartouches with stork motif. Water pipe to centre inscribed with J & R Howie Ltd, Hurlford, Ayrshire and trademark 'puro'.
This is a good, surviving example of a commemorative, decorative iron drinking fountain, made by the renowned Saracen Foundry in Glasgow. It adds significantly to the promenade along Albert Road.
The design is depicted in the 1880s catalogue of Macfarlane castings with a decorative finial and photo in around 1915 shows that this fountain canopy had a finial. This now no longer exists.
The Ordnance Survey Map of 1915-9 shows the Fountain situated further east along Albert Road. By the 1938 Map, it is depicted in its current position.
The Walter Macfarlane & Co Saracen foundry (fl 1850-1965) was perhaps the most important foundry in Scotland for producing decorative ironwork. Based in Glasgow, the company made a wide rage of iron goods, including architectural brattishing, railings, lamps, drinking fountains and band stands. They exported to many countries within the British Empire. Many items from the foundry were destroyed during the Second World War when iron was recovered for the war effort. The company eventually closed in 1967.
J & R Howie Ltd was a fire clay factory, based in Hurlford near Kilmarnock in Ayrshire, whose work included fire clay draining materials.
List description updated, 2012.
Other nearby listed buildings