This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9607 / 55°57'38"N
Longitude: -4.82 / 4°49'11"W
OS Eastings: 224065
OS Northings: 677780
OS Grid: NS240777
Mapcode National: GBR 09.XH4V
Mapcode Global: WH2M8.XFYS
Entry Name: Bath Street, St John's Church (Church of Scotland) with Hall, Walls, Gatepiers and Lamp Standards
Listing Date: 10 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378192
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34000
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverclyde West
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
J, J M & W H Hay, 1857; tower completed Bruce & Spurrock, 1877-8. Decorated gothic church with open-work crown to impressive 4-stage NE tower, church hall to SE, en suite. Variegated rubble with cream ashlar dressings, tower coursed and squared rubble, rubble to nave and church hall. Base course; battered buttresses with sawtooth coping; pointed-arched windows with reticulated tracery; corbelled and gablet
skewputts; sawtooth skews. Eaves band course.
TOWER: large diagonal buttresses and off-set octagonal stair turret with arrow-slit windows and half-pyramidal ashlar roof to SE rising to 2nd stage. Broad pointed-arched doorway to NE with hoodmould and block label-stops, paired colonnettes flanking with ball flowers to moulded opening of trefoil-headeded door surround, boarded door with decorative wrought-iron hinges; bipartite windows on NW return. Large tripartite
window at 2nd stage above. Paired lancets with trefoiled heads to each face of 3rd stage; nook-shafts rising to crown. Top stage with drum pinnacled angle buttresses, clocks set in pointed-arch panels to each face with finial above; open-work crown (of linked flying buttresses) with large crockets and ashlar bellcote, arcaded and open-crowned.
NAVE: 6-bay. NW elevation with bipartite windows divided by buttresses, northernmost bay gabled with taller window breaking
eaves in gablehead. SE elevation as above but mostly obscured
by hall. Gabled end elevation with large blocked pointed-arched
window with modern cross window inserted; single storey piended and platformed vestry with bi- and tripartite windows below.
CHURCH HALL: gabled hall adjoining to SE with broad mullioned windows to gable elevations; modern vestibule addition to NW, flat-roofed addition to SW; modern windows and render to SE elevation.
Mostly modern plate glass windows. Slate roof. Moulded eaves gutters with brackets and ornamental gutterheads.
INTERIOR: whitewashed; tall arch-braced timber roof with shafts rising from stone corbels. Raked timber gallery with panelled front over bracketted cantilever to NE (organ now redundant); projecting carved timber vestibule (circa 1900) with trefoiled openings and leaded border glazing. Timber dado and pews. Matching timber panelled communion table, pulpit (canted, with carved sounding board) and lectern with blind arcading and carved shields. Stained glass: 2 windows to NW, 1 circa 1880, 1 being memorial to WWI.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND LAMP STANDARDS: low rubble wall with saddleback coping, later railings, steps to doorway framed by gatepiers with stop-chamfered arrises and mouled coping bearing ornate iron lamp
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings