History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barrhill Road, St Bartholomew's (Episcopal) Church and Boundary Wall

A Category B Listed Building in Gourock, Inverclyde

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9597 / 55°57'35"N

Longitude: -4.8221 / 4°49'19"W

OS Eastings: 223929

OS Northings: 677675

OS Grid: NS239776

Mapcode National: GBR 09.XGPN

Mapcode Global: WH2M8.WGYK

Entry Name: Barrhill Road, St Bartholomew's (Episcopal) Church and Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 10 June 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 378193

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34001

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Gourock

County: Inverclyde

Town: Gourock

Electoral Ward: Inverclyde West

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Gourock

Description

J C Sharp, 1857, extended H D Walton, circa 1895. Small 3-bay gothic church with later chancel and N aisle. Variegated sandstone, rubble with stugged and polished ashlar dressings, some harl pointing. Pointed ashlar mullions, chamfered reveals; battered buttresses with sawtooth coping; finialled gables; sawtooth coped skews; rounded skewputts. Reticulated tracery.

NAVE: 3-bay with small gabled stone porch to S, pointed-arch chamfered doorway; narrow bipartite windows with quatrefoil tracery flanking. W elevation gabled with buttress to centre rising to gabled and finialled apex bellcote, bipartite windows and diagonal buttresses flanking. 4 gabled bays to N divided by buttresses and with tripartite windows; single storey vestry to outer left, tripartite window with depressed lights on E return. Later single storey gabled addition to 1st gable.

CHANCEL: lower gabled chancel (circa 1895) with battered base course to E, tripartite traceried window, hoodmoulded with masque stops above. 2 narrow lancets on S return, secondary entrance on N return.

Square-pane leaded windows. Slate roof with lead flashings. Ornamental gutterheads.

INTERIOR: rendered walls with stone dressings; braced timber roof to chancel; elaborate cast- and wrought-iron rood screen; blind arcading to E wall with red marble colonnettes with foliate capitals; altar with blind arcade of squat marble colonnettes and tripartite gabled and crocketted reredos. Polygonal stone pulpit ornately carved with green marble columns. Stained glass windows to chancel and one bipartite window. Low rubble wall with later railings.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.