This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9597 / 55°57'35"N
Longitude: -4.8221 / 4°49'19"W
OS Eastings: 223929
OS Northings: 677675
OS Grid: NS239776
Mapcode National: GBR 09.XGPN
Mapcode Global: WH2M8.WGYK
Plus Code: 9C7QX55H+V5
Entry Name: St Bartholomew's Church, Barrhill Road, Gourock
Listing Name: Barrhill Road, St Bartholomew's (Episcopal) Church and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 10 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378193
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34001
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverclyde West
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
J C Sharp, 1857, extended H D Walton, circa 1895. Small 3-bay gothic church with later chancel and N aisle. Variegated sandstone, rubble with stugged and polished ashlar dressings, some harl pointing. Pointed ashlar mullions, chamfered reveals; battered buttresses with sawtooth coping; finialled gables; sawtooth coped skews; rounded skewputts. Reticulated tracery.
NAVE: 3-bay with small gabled stone porch to S, pointed-arch chamfered doorway; narrow bipartite windows with quatrefoil tracery flanking. W elevation gabled with buttress to centre rising to gabled and finialled apex bellcote, bipartite windows and diagonal buttresses flanking. 4 gabled bays to N divided by buttresses and with tripartite windows; single storey vestry to outer left, tripartite window with depressed lights on E return. Later single storey gabled addition to 1st gable.
CHANCEL: lower gabled chancel (circa 1895) with battered base course to E, tripartite traceried window, hoodmoulded with masque stops above. 2 narrow lancets on S return, secondary entrance on N return.
Square-pane leaded windows. Slate roof with lead flashings. Ornamental gutterheads.
INTERIOR: rendered walls with stone dressings; braced timber roof to chancel; elaborate cast- and wrought-iron rood screen; blind arcading to E wall with red marble colonnettes with foliate capitals; altar with blind arcade of squat marble colonnettes and tripartite gabled and crocketted reredos. Polygonal stone pulpit ornately carved with green marble columns. Stained glass windows to chancel and one bipartite window. Low rubble wall with later railings.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings