This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.3327 / 57°19'57"N
Longitude: -3.61 / 3°36'35"W
OS Eastings: 303173
OS Northings: 828051
OS Grid: NJ031280
Mapcode National: GBR K9GB.M2R
Mapcode Global: WH5JH.JY6K
Plus Code: 9C9R89MR+32
Entry Name: Inverallan Parish Church, Mossie Road, Grantown-On-Spey
Listing Name: Mossie Road, Inverallan Church, Church of Scotland
Listing Date: 26 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378277
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34062
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Grantown On Spey
Town: Grantown On Spey
Electoral Ward: Badenoch and Strathspey
Traditional County: Morayshire
Alexander Smith, Cullen, 1884-6. Cruciform Gothic church,
orientated E/W; sneck coursed tooled ashlar, tooled and
polished ashlar dressings.
Centre entrance in E gable, pointed-headed doorpiece with
paired round-headed entrances with trumeau and inscribed
tympanum, long flanking Y-traceried windows; further large
hood-moulded window above with ornate tracery incorporating
intersecting CS; 3 similar windows elsewhere with ornate
tracery incorporating S for Seafield. Lattice-pane glazing.
Further entrance in E gable with flanking windows; doorway
in E elevation of S transept in slightly advanced and gabled
porch. Arcaded corbelling supports bellcote at N gable apex
with nookshafts, cusped detailing and apex ball finials;
various buttressing; slate roof.
Interior; lofty interior with braced timber roof with
drop pendants, springing from bolection moulded corbels.
Seafield gallery at E, front carved with Lord's prayer; no
seating survives. Ornate octagonal pulpit at NW angle of
crossing with re-used German carving dated 1629 rises from
slender octagonal plinth; stylised foliage and
fruit, banding, scroll and beaded borders, some deep with
further carved leaf and acorn designs. Front panel depicts
Nativity under raised head with double eagle crest and motto;
narrow pedimented backboard incorporating cupboard door,
flanking caryatids, cross and 1639 date.
Similar carving (also dated 1639) re-used in narrow mural
clock at SW angle of crossing.
Large, fine 17th century series carved panels incorporated
below gallery and with later base mounted on wall depicting
series of coats of arms of 8 Highland or NE families,
with lower panels of stylised flowers and geometric patterns,
with carved texts on rails and further stylised carving
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Superseded Church of 1803 on same site. Built by Caroline, Dowager Countess
of Seafield in memory of her husband and son 7th and 8th
Earls of Seafield. Ornate scroll window tracery incorporates
initials of 8th Earl in E window (ICOGR) 7th Earl in N
window (combination of S) and CS in W window (Caroline Stuart
or Countess of Seafield. At Countess' request (1912) no
other memorial to be erected in church Pulpit said to
"have been formed from a valuable piece of elaborate old
carving from Castle Grant'. Large panel below gallery
found by Earl of Seafield at Shillochan, Duthill in 1874.
Measures 9'2" x 6'; records "Cumin of Alter, Caddel of that
Ilk, Lesly of Balquhy, Lumsden of Cusni, Gordon of
Hun(tly?), Ros of Kilraak, Grant of Aucher (nach?), Forres
Thought to have come form (former) Duthill church.
Other nearby listed buildings