This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9483 / 55°56'53"N
Longitude: -4.7772 / 4°46'37"W
OS Eastings: 226679
OS Northings: 676286
OS Grid: NS266762
Mapcode National: GBR 0C.Y6SG
Mapcode Global: WH2M9.LRCC
Plus Code: 9C7QW6XF+84
Entry Name: Greenock Crematorium
Listing Name: 1 South Street, Greenock Crematorium
Listing Date: 6 February 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378336
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34119
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverclyde North
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Cullen, Lochhead and Brown, 1959 (dated). Single storey, church-form, purpose built crematorium in Scandinavian Modernist style with good detailing. 5-bay loggia to entrance front (E). Rectangular-plan chimney and low, flat-roofed buildings to S. Red and yellow brick with grey concrete dressings. 3 full-height windows to W. Steps from W lead to landscaped memorial garden.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical. 3 shallow steps to 5-bay loggia with wide, pylonesque openings. To right outer bay, advanced grey concrete similarly pylonesque shaped porch-cochere with small square openings design. Metal panel to right with Greenock insignia and 1959 inscription. To left, slightly advanced and raised square-plan, flat-roofed Memorial Chapel with large, deeply set full-height square 15-pane window.
Variety of fenestration. Some small fixed-light windows. Large 15-pane window to Memorial Chapel. 3 large 9-pane full-height windows to W. Grey slate. Cast iron rainwater goods. Copper piended platform roof to chimney.
INTERIOR: original decorative scheme intact with good detailing. Main chapel: segmental arched ceiling with gallery to N. Strip clerestory-type windows to E. Timber doors at entrance with Greek Cross-style detail. Blue, black and cream chequerboard pattern floor tiles, echoed in catafalque. Shallow, curved black marble steps to sanctuary area. Timber pews, pulpit and lectern. 5-light chandeliers with hour-glass shaped lampshades.
Pulley mechanism retained.
Greenock Crematorium is a well-designed, building in the Scandinavian Modernist style. Quintessentially 1950s in style, it is unusual in being constructed of red brick and is further distinguished by the attention to detail which is evident throughout the building. Of particular note is the striking 5-bay flat-roofed loggia to the entrance front with its pylonesque openings and the tall broad chimney with its copper cap. Internally, the building had changed remarkably little since construction. It is understood that the paint scheme of cream, pale blue and turquoise has been maintained since its inception. As with the exterior there is attention to detail, from the chequerboard floor and 'sands of time' hourglass light fittings. The Crematorium was built in 1959 on the site of Caddle Hill House of which the Summerhouse Tempietto is the only remaining structure (see separate listing).
Other nearby listed buildings