This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9484 / 55°56'54"N
Longitude: -4.7508 / 4°45'2"W
OS Eastings: 228330
OS Northings: 676237
OS Grid: NS283762
Mapcode National: GBR 0D.Y6Q7
Mapcode Global: WH2MB.0R07
Plus Code: 9C7QW6XX+9M
Entry Name: Clock Tower, Custom House Quay, Greenock
Listing Name: Harbour Light and Clock, Custom House
Listing Date: 4 October 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378401
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34182
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverclyde North
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Cast and wrought iron, circa 1860. Corinthian column with rope-moulded band around middle, mounted on square cast-iron base and supporting square entablature with 4-faced clock, surmounted by octagonal gothic lantern with crown, bell and weathervane. Base has plain plinth, panels above have on opposing faces lion head faucets in stop-chamfered inset panels, with basins. Surmounted by Greenock coat-of-arms in circular cartouche. Low relief thistles in top corners of surround. Other faces have crown flanked by 'VR'. Above panels, cornice with fleuron ornament. Above cornice base tapers to plain octagon. Base marked Rankin and Blackmore, Engineers, Eagle Foundry, Greenock.
Made for Greenock Harbour Trust to replace smaller light now sited on Esplanade (listed separately). Scotland's most fanciful and elaborate harbour light. (Part of A Group with Custom House).
Other nearby listed buildings