This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9554 / 55°57'19"N
Longitude: -2.7754 / 2°46'31"W
OS Eastings: 351684
OS Northings: 673866
OS Grid: NT516738
Mapcode National: GBR 2S.XSHN
Mapcode Global: WH7TY.BKNW
Plus Code: 9C7VX64F+5V
Entry Name: 92-93 High Street, Haddington
Listing Name: 92, 93a and 93b High Street
Listing Date: 5 December 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378428
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34205
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
Late 18th century 3-storey building: rendered with slated roof: ground floor shop: 3-window with margins at 1st and 2nd floor: raised quoins at ends, main cornice.
INTERIOR: good mid to later 19th century chemists shop interior in place with bespoke hardwood and curved glazed cabinets with glass knobs and marble surfaces. The upper floors retain the stair, chimneypieces, plain dado-panelling and raised and fielded 6-panel doors and shutters. Floor plans have symmetrically placed bed-recesses on all floors.
A fine 18th century building in a prominent position on the High Street making a strong streetscape contribution and of particular interest due to its surviving timber details to the first floor and a fine 19th century shop interior. These very rare surviving shop fittings are probably the earliest of note in Haddington and amongst only 10 surviving examples of this quality in Scotland. The building was built in the later 18th Century by the United Incorporation of Masons & Wrights of Haddington, a trade organisation dating from the C15th which held their meetings in a Convening Room in the upper flat of the building, the last meeting being held there in 1863. The fine 18th century timber details in the upper floors are of such a high quality because they were created by a builders trade union.
Address updated to reflect conversion of upper storeys into two separate flats, 2009.
Other nearby listed buildings