History in Structure

St Mary's Parish Church, Haddington

A Category A Listed Building in Haddington, East Lothian

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.9533 / 55°57'11"N

Longitude: -2.772 / 2°46'19"W

OS Eastings: 351893

OS Northings: 673635

OS Grid: NT518736

Mapcode National: GBR 2S.XTDJ

Mapcode Global: WH7TY.DM7G

Plus Code: 9C7VX63H+86

Entry Name: St Mary's Parish Church, Haddington

Listing Name: St Mary's Parish Church and Churchyard Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

Listing Date: 5 February 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 378635

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34391

Building Class: Cultural

Also known as: Haddington, St Mary's Parish Church

ID on this website: 200378635

Location: Haddington

County: East Lothian

Town: Haddington

Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir

Traditional County: East Lothian

Tagged with: Church building Gothic architecture

Find accommodation in


Late 14th to late 15th centuries. Cruciform 206' x 32', 113'
across transepts 30' wide. Nave 5 bays, chancel 4, both
aisled with clerestory, transepts 2 bay aisleless central
tower formerly with crown, ashlar with slated roofs. Nave has
pinnacled buttresses, round arched double-opening w-door,
6-light window above; interior has clustered piers at arcade.
Aisles originally had masonry vaults, removed and arches of
arcade lifted to accommodated galleries by James Burn to
Archibald Elliot's design 1811, new plaster vaults to both
nave and aisles: crenellated parapets and new pinnacles
supplied same date. Galleries removed, refurnishing, George
Henderson 1891 Transepts roofless with NW angle missing until
1971, rebuilt and reroofed Ian G Lindsay and Partners,
vaults replaced in fibreglass to original design tower
reroofed and vaulted; choir walls, similar to nave but
unaltered. 2-light aisle windows instead of 3 as in nave,
repaired in 1858 and 1866, tracery of 4-light, E window
replaced 1877, further repairs and underpinning 1926-30,
restored and reroofed 1971-72 by Ian G Lindsay and Partners,
with fibreglass vaults over main vessel and aisles
reproducing original scheme. Revestry on N side of choir
partly rebuilt 17th century pointed barrel vault, fine double
arched monument to the 1st Lord Maitland (+1595) and the 2nd
lord, white and black marble with alabaster effigies to both
lords and their wives. John Stirling stained glass window,
by William Wilson, 1946; earlier glass of interest, some by
Heaton Butler and Bayne.

Statement of Interest

Guardianship Monument (Lauderdale Aisle only)

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.