This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4204 / 55°25'13"N
Longitude: -2.7895 / 2°47'22"W
OS Eastings: 350122
OS Northings: 614332
OS Grid: NT501143
Mapcode National: GBR 85YR.WS
Mapcode Global: WH7XN.31X0
Plus Code: 9C7VC6C6+45
Entry Name: 1 St Mary's Place, Hawick
Listing Name: 1 St Mary's Place and 31 Drumlanrig Square
Listing Date: 19 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 378906
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB34616
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Hawick and Hermitage
Traditional County: Roxburghshire
James Pearson Alison, 1891. 3-storey, roughly 3-bay, rectangular-plan, gabled block on sloping site comprising commercial premises at ground floor and residential accommodation above, with chamfered window margins, ball finials to skewputts, and scroll-ended skews. Stugged yellow sandstone ashlar with polished margins. Moulded eaves course.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Shop at ground to right of NW (Drumlanrig Square) elevation with roll-moulded margins and fascia cornice; regular fenestration arranged in 3 bays to rest of elevation, with central bipartite at 1st floor. 3-storey and attic, 2-bay SW (Kirk Wynd) elevation with plate-glass shop window to left and round-chamfered angles at ground floor; central attic window in gable. Roughly 2-storey and attic SE (St Mary's Place) elevation with architraved doorway and finialled dormer gable to centre and 2 further irregularly-placed windows; 20th-century dormers to left and right.
Predominantly plate glass in timber sash-and-case windows. Coped skews. Coped ashlar gablehead stack to SW elevation; ashlar-coped brick stack to NE gable; buff clay cans. Grey slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods with some decorative hoppers.
INTERIOR: Some panelling and cornicing to shop. Some cornicing, timber window shutters and timber-panelled doors to upper accommodation.
Prominently situated at the north-eastern corner of Drumlanrig Square, at the intersection of Needle Street, St Mary's Place and Kirk Wynd. A good late-19th-century terminal block, with a strong vertical profile and secondary (St Mary's Place) elevation, some fine detailing, and unusual plan form, designed by James Pearson Alison (1862-1932), Hawick's most prominent architect.
Alison commenced practice in the town in 1888 and remained there until his death, during which period he was responsible for a large number of buildings of widely varying types and styles, including a considerable proportion of Hawick's listed structures. Plans by Alison for this building, dated 25 February 1891, are in the possession of Alison's successor firm Aitken & Turnbull, and copies are held by the owners of the house (2007). They indicate that the property was built for a Miss Lamb.
The plan is well adapted to the site. The ground in St Mary's Place is higher than that in Needle Street, and the central door in the secondary (St Mary's Place) elevation leads directly onto a staircase to the upper accommodation. In this way the stair windows above the door reinforce the impression of the block as a 3-storey building from all angles.
Earlier maps show a building with an identical footprint, but due to the date of the plans it must be assumed that it was not until the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map that this building was shown. List description revised following resurvey (2008).
Other nearby listed buildings