This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6067 / 55°36'24"N
Longitude: -4.5006 / 4°30'2"W
OS Eastings: 242572
OS Northings: 637623
OS Grid: NS425376
Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MXMM
Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.VB0P
Plus Code: 9C7QJF4X+MP
Entry Name: 5 Dundonald Road, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: 5 Dundonald Road Including Boundary Walls and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380573
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35888
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse
Traditional County: Ayrshire
1868. 2-storey, 3-bay Scots Baronial villa; shallow L-plan. Broken coursed sandstone. 2-storey canted bay to left. Stop-chamfered arrises to windows
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: gabled bay advanced at left with finialled projecting end bay to left: crowstepped gablehead; 2-storey canted bay window with corbelled out to crowstepped gablet with finial; entrance porch in re-entrant angle to centre bay; pointed, crowstepped gable; single window above. Bipartite window in right bay at ground floor; single window at 1st floor; crowstepped and finialled dormer gablehead to dormer; cill mould below.
N ELEVATION: crowstepped gable with single window at 1st floor.
S ELEVATION: crowstepped gable, regularly fenestrated to outer left and right.
2-pane sash and case windows. Slate roof; crowstepped gables; stacks at N and S gableheads with octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 2001.
BOUNDARY WALLS: dwarf wall to front with modern iron railings. High, coped garden walls.
OUTBUILDINGS: 1 ? storey outbuilding with crowstepped gables; small window in left gable and timber door in right gable.
Part of an A-Group with Holy Trinity Church and Parsonage and 3 Dundonald Road. This was one of the first houses built on Dundonald Road and is a good example of the prevailing Scottish Baronial style that was popular in the latter half of the nineteenth-century. Although the development of Dundonald Road dates from the 1860, the road itself is partly on the site of the older Bullet Street (named after a popular 18th century game) and also on part of the Duke of Portland's early railway line to Troon.
Other nearby listed buildings