History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Marnock's Parish Church, St Marnock Street, Kilmarnock

A Category B Listed Building in Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6074 / 55°36'26"N

Longitude: -4.4991 / 4°29'56"W

OS Eastings: 242671

OS Northings: 637694

OS Grid: NS426376

Mapcode National: GBR 3G.MY00

Mapcode Global: WH3Q9.VBR5

Plus Code: 9C7QJG42+W9

Entry Name: St Marnock's Parish Church, St Marnock Street, Kilmarnock

Listing Name: St Marnock Street, St Marnock's Parish Church (Church of Scotland)

Listing Date: 3 July 1980

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 380652

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35961

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kilmarnock

County: East Ayrshire

Town: Kilmarnock

Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock West and Crosshouse

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in
Kilmaurs

Description

James Ingram, 1836. Rectangular plan, Perpendicular Gothic, 6-bay church with centrally placed 4-stage tower to N gable. Pink sandstone with base and string course. Angle, diagonal and octagonal clasping buttresses.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central 2-leaf, gothic panelled door to ground, recessed under pointed arch with moulded reveals and crocketed, ogival hood-mould. Tower breaking gablehead: tall window with reticulated tracery set under square-panelled head; clock in lozenge panel above; louvered opening with panel tracery and ogival hood-mould in upper stage; battlemented parapet with square angle pinnacles. Battlemented gable flanking tower with tall, panel-traceried windows below; octagonal, blind panelled, terminal buttresses with crocketed and finialled caps.

E ELEVATION: 5 similarly traceried windows; timber gothic door to bay 6 with hood-mould and blind lancets above.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 geometric traceried windows with central window tallest; gablehead finial removed, diagonally placed angle buttress & finials remain; later single storey addition present.

W ELEVATION: 5 similarly traceried windows; timber gothic door to bay 1 with hood-mould and blind lancets above.

Stained glass of square quarry to most windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead flashings. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: gothic revival interior with original lectern & organ.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The architect was local man James Ingram, who planned many buildings within Kilmarnock during the mid-late 19th century. This was his first major piece of work. He was later in practise with his son Robert Samson Ingram at 114 King Street. The church dates from 1836 and cost ?5000 including the tower. It was built primarily as a chapel of ease and contained 1736 sittings. The Commissioner's Report said "It is intended to apply to the presbytery to assign a parochial district to it, when an endowment is got for a minister." It was finally constituted a quoad sacra church in 1862. Internally, the organ cost ?350 and was a gift from John Gilmour, Esq. of Elmbank House (which was later demolished to provide land for the Dick Institute). Not long after the church opened, rumours began to circulate with regard to the safety of the structure. The building is wide and it was assumed the roof was too heavy and wide to be supported properly. Repair and strengthening work was carried out to the centre, which fuelled rumours of an imminent structural collapse. One Sunday during a service conducted by Rev. David Strong, a gale sent a tree crashing into a sidewall of the church and the main doors burst open with the storm. The congregation panicked, especially as someone imagined they saw smoke in the session house and, like the Laigh Kirk 35 years previously, a stampede occurred. Multiple deaths were averted due to Rev. Strong's pulpit address urging calm. No injuries were reported (unlike the Laigh Kirk where 30 people died) and the structure still survives a century and a half later.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.