This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.6203 / 55°37'13"N
Longitude: -4.4909 / 4°29'27"W
OS Eastings: 243239
OS Northings: 639115
OS Grid: NS432391
Mapcode National: GBR 3H.LS7H
Mapcode Global: WH3Q3.ZZNS
Plus Code: 9C7QJGC5+4J
Entry Name: Deanhill, Turner Place, Kilmarnock
Listing Name: Turner Place, Deanhill
Listing Date: 3 July 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 380662
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35970
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kilmarnock East and Hurlford
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Circa 1870. 2-storey, 3-bay, double pile rectangular-plan Gothic villa. Coursed snecked ashlar with polished dressings and off-set base course. Windows with chamfered heads and sloped cills. Crowstepped end gables with kneelers or waterspouts.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: slightly advanced central gabled bay containing projecting cast-iron porch: paired columns with stained glass in-fill and rosette header supporting solid curved brackets, in turn supporting ornate piended semi-glazed porch roof; 3 painted stone steps leading to stop chamfered door surround with wrought-iron bell push on right. 2-leaf timber door with rectangular fanlight above inscribed Deanhill (leading to inner door); above: carved stone panel with thistle relief contained within hoodmould shaped to follow form of porch (later lion's head mask to right, lion's head planter to left). Window to 1st floor centre with gun loop detail within arched hoodmould above; lion's head water spout to right; pointed stone finial surmounting. Regularly placed bay to left with carved semi-circular plaque above, arched hoodmould joining band course with 1st floor window above. 2-storey, 3-light canted bay battlemented bay to right with crossed gun loop detail to gablehead of main building, pointed stone finial surmounting. E elevation outbuilding adjoining ground floor of right return with central window and further pair of single storey gable ended outbuildings to right: pair of sliding timber doors to centre with ornamental lion's head mask to gablehead; later lean-to glass house with central door to right gable and arched window to gablehead with stack.
E ELEVATION: M-gabled with single storey, battlemented and crowstepped outbuilding abutting ground floor of elevation; 1st floor: single window to left of left gable, pair of windows to right gable.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: central modern entrance porch with door and glazed window in right return, blind wall to right on main building; 3 regularly placed windows to 1st floor: central window elongated for staircase, right window in gable end with blind gable head above.
W ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay with right hand bays in gable end. Paired windows to both storeys left; to right: ground floor window with blind plaque above and ornate hoodmoulding forming 1st floor cill set-off, rectangular window to 1st floor with triangular inset pediment with label-stopped hoodmould and curved finial with star surmounting, further ornate pointed finial to gablehead.
Replacement 4-pane timber sash and case windows to principal windows, some narrow 2-pane windows and multi-paned window with fanned panes above to elongated staircase window. Piended grey slate roof with crested black and red ridge tiles. Concealed rainwater goods with stone Lion's head waterspout to S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION and waterspout putt to SE angle of main gable, replacement plastic rainwater goods to rear, painted cast-iron rainwater goods to E elevation. Gablehead stacks to E elevation with projecting neck copes and triple octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: retains period features including wood panelling and semi-glazed door to entrance hall, cornices, picture rails, and original timber staircase.
Sited on a hill overlooking Beansburn's Dean Park, Turner Place was named after Fredrick and Joseph Turner who were Factors to the Duke of Portland. Originally the Place consisted of a row of single storey cottages for retired estate workers. Now the quite cul-de-sac is dominated by Deanhill and it neighbour Highfield (listed separately), the former manse for the Laigh Kirk, now a retirement home. The earliest recording of Dean Hill appears on the 1868 map, although it would appear the house was somewhat further along Dean Road. The Deanhill we see today appears on the 1896 map at the top of the wooded sloped hillside leading into Dean Park. Still in private residential use, Deanhill has been divided into 2 flats. A good range of outhouses survive, as does a polychromatic brick walled garden to the rear of the property.
Other nearby listed buildings