History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dysart Harbour

A Category B Listed Building in Kirkcaldy, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1228 / 56°7'22"N

Longitude: -3.1243 / 3°7'27"W

OS Eastings: 330200

OS Northings: 692800

OS Grid: NT302928

Mapcode National: GBR 2C.L61B

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.ZCDJ

Entry Name: Dysart Harbour

Listing Date: 28 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 381182

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB36406

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kirkcaldy

County: Fife

Town: Kirkcaldy

Electoral Ward: Kirkcaldy East

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Dysart

Description

Early 17th century tidal basin; 1831 wet dock; restored 1967. Roughly U-plan tidal basin with harbour mouth to S (at rounded end) and slipway to N; W arm with jetties projecting at W and NW forming mouth to almost rhomboidal-plan wet dock at NW. E pier with high ashlar sea wall to SE. Harbour walls largely ashlar, parts in vertical courses; stone sets to slipways.

Statement of Interest

Dysart was a port in 1450, and until the early 17th century it had a pier at nearby Pan Ha'. The current harbour plan appears on a map of 1750, and shipbuilding was practised from 1764 until circa 1900. Export trade in salt and coal (mainly to the Low Countries) was common from the fifteenth century, with Dysart becoming a separate burgh early in the sixteenth century. Work began on the present harbour early in the 17th century, funded by the Town Council and Lord Sinclair. Robert Stevenson was commissioned to report on the harbour's state in 1819, when coal from the Lady Blanche colliery was a major export, and in 1829 the new inner dock was complete, it "included an inner harbour which, closed by dock gates, allowed ships to load coal at all stages of the tide" and "was the first harbour on the east coast of Scotland to have such a facility" (Swan & McNeill, p19). In 1843 a violent storm washed away 100ft of the E pier. The Lady Blanche Colliery was closed in 1928 and the harbour ceased commercially in 1929. It lay derelict until 1967 when it was taken over by Dysart Sailing Club who now lease it from local authority.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.