This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.204 / 56°12'14"N
Longitude: -3.2026 / 3°12'9"W
OS Eastings: 325492
OS Northings: 701912
OS Grid: NO254019
Mapcode National: GBR 28.F0GW
Mapcode Global: WH6RF.SB5B
Entry Name: Leslie House Policies, High Street, West Lodge
Listing Date: 22 December 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 382391
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37332
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
Probably late 17th century, altered and with addition to street in mid 19th century, altered 1927 and 1955-6 by James Gillespie and Scott with addition of gablet dormers and N gable, late 17th century panel bearing arms of Rothes and Lindsay thought to have come from Leslie House. 2-storey, irregular 5-bay, rectangular plan crowstepped lodge house with lean-to extension abutting Leslie House policies perimeter wall and gatepier. Random whinstone rubble with later additions of squared and snecked ashlar, dressed ashlar margins; chamfered arrises.
E (MAIN) ELEVATION: evidence of previous openings. Door to left of centre with window in outer left bay and 2 windows to right, outer right bay obscured at ground by lean-to extension; gabled dormerheads over door and in flanking bays, with further window in outer right mid 19th century crowstepped gable.
N (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: mid 19th century. 2-bay crowstepped gable end with windows at ground and smaller windows over with central panel bearing arms of Rothes and Lindsay; bay to outer right with boarded door with plateglass fanlight and gabled dormerhead breaking eaves.
W ELEVATION: abutting pitch roof of Leslie Parish Church Hall.
8- and 12-pane glazing patterns in sash and case windows. Graded grey slates on bellcast roof line, bracketed eaves. Crowstepped gables, original N crowstep retained, ashlar skews with beak skewputts on gabled dormerheads, 2 with floreate finials. Battered coping to ashlar stacks, exposed moulded eaves.
West Lodge is known locally as The Duchess Lodge, complementing The Duke's Lodge a few hundred yards away. The Sir Robert Lorimer attribution for alterations now seems highly unlikely. Group with Leslie House, West Gate, Duke's Lodge, Duke's Lodge Gates and Forester's Lodge.
Other nearby listed buildings