This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2006 / 56°12'2"N
Longitude: -3.2125 / 3°12'45"W
OS Eastings: 324868
OS Northings: 701551
OS Grid: NO248015
Mapcode National: GBR 27.FB79
Mapcode Global: WH6RF.MDFW
Entry Name: Norman Place, Fettykil House with Walled Garden, Terrace and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 22 December 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 382397
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37337
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch
Traditional County: Fife
1868 with additions circa 1870 (possibly Sir Robert Rowand Anderson) and further 1983 extension. 2-storey with part attic, baronial house with crowsteps, turret, machicolation and corbelling. Squared and snecked ashlar, with some harling, moulded string course and cornice, with stone margins, quoins, mullions and stop-chamfered arrises.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: deep-set door in round-headed doorway to left of lower projecting wing, narrow window adjacent to right and smaller slit window to left with trefoil gunloop to outer left and corbelled corner to stair block over corner rounded at ground; gabled dormerhead breaking eaves over door with small window to right over slope of projecting roof; plaque to left under round-headed attic window in crowstepped gablehead; projecting bay to right with small round-headed stair window to left and window at 1st floor in crowstepped gable, two narrow gunloops on return wall to E, door to W; flat-roofed link below round-headed stair window adjoining further single storey with attic, 1-bay wing extension to outer right.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5-bay (grouped 2-2-1), 2-storey, recessed centre bay with window to right and left, 1st floor with 2 small windows to outer right and window to left with gabled dormerhead breaking eaves; slightly advanced crowstepped bay to right with quadripartite chamfered window at ground, outer right section (forming SE corner of building) below corbelled and machicolated turret with small centre light, outer left section converted to door, below corbelled and chamfered corner with prominent, corbelled stack and further corbelling to left below skewputt, round-headed window at gablehead; advanced block to left with crowsteps to E and W and corbelling at outer corners over corner rounded at ground, projecting tower to left with tripartite bow window at ground and 1st floor, conical cap and ornate finialled dormer window, bipartite windows to both floors at right, modern dormer window in roof pitch; recessed corner to outer left.
E ELEVATION: slightly projecting centre crowstepped gable with window to right under stepped stonework forming hoodmould and continuing across 1st floor, window above and round-headed window at gablehead with stack projecting from left crowstep; large round-headed stair window to right with low, eliptical arched opening at ground; 1st floor window to left under machicolation with eyelid dormer above.
W ELEVATION: crowstepped gable to right with tripartite window at ground and 1st floor, attic window to left; lower recessed crenellated tower to left with part-glazed centre door behind lean-to porch, 1st floor with bipartite window to left, window to right and further window in re-entrant at both floors; 2-bay, single storey extension to outer left with dormer window breaking eaves.
Plate glass glazing in modern uPVC windows throughout. Graded grey slates with terracotta ridge tiles, fish-scale slates to turret apex. Ashlar coped skews, beak skewputts and coped ashlar stacks with some cans; decorative iron finial, cockerel weathervane, and dated rainwater hoppers.
INTERIOR: classical with occasional gothic details. Lobby with arched doorhead and stair opening; heavily moulded doorcase to circular stair, trefoil-section jambs. Dining room with black marble fireplace, ornate cornice and niche between S facing windows. Many rooms with working shutters, wainscot panelling to inner hallway.
WALLED GARDEN: kitchen garden to NW of property with high coped and stepped brick boundary wall, ashlar building with cat-slide roof and ball finial to E.
TERRACE AND BOUNDARY WALLS: remains of terraced garden to S of property, coped boundary walls.
Fettykil House was built by Charles Anderson and remains in the family under the ownership of Smith, Anderson & Company, Fettykil Mills. It seems probable that Rowand Anderson was responsible for the extensions carried out in the 1870s as he was engaged in designs for Fettykil Lodge in 1874. Gifford describes it as "Baronial of the Heiton type".
Other nearby listed buildings