History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

125-127 (Odd Nos) Main Street, Former Miners' Welfare and War Memorial Institute

A Category B Listed Building in Lochgelly, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.1263 / 56°7'34"N

Longitude: -3.3101 / 3°18'36"W

OS Eastings: 318657

OS Northings: 693386

OS Grid: NT186933

Mapcode National: GBR 24.L09Z

Mapcode Global: WH6RS.481W

Entry Name: 125-127 (Odd Nos) Main Street, Former Miners' Welfare and War Memorial Institute

Listing Date: 5 December 1993

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 382620

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB37513

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Lochgelly

County: Fife

Town: Lochgelly

Electoral Ward: Lochgelly, Cardenden and Benarty

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Cowdenbeath

Description

A D Haxton. 1923-25. 2-storey, symmetrical 7-bay Free Baroque

miners' welfare institute and war memorial. Rendered with polished sandstone dressings. Base course; cill course; bracketted cornice; parapet; keystoned architraved windows; decorative carved festoon panels to pilasters.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central entrance bay flanked by full-height pilasters; keystoned round-arched doorway; 2-leaf panelled door; radiating fanlight; bracketted stone balcony with iron balustrade and broken round-headed pediment to 1st floor window above; inscribed panel breaking eaves. Single windows at ground in 3 bays to left and right of centre; oculi above at 1st floor.

W ELEVATION: 3 windows at ground and 1st floor to outer right; 2-storey piend-roofed projection to centre; external stair to outer left.

E ELEVATION: 2 windows and doorway at ground; single storey wing with roof ventilator adjoining to outer right; bracketted cill to Venetian window at 1st floor.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly disposed fenestration.

Small-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; ogival cap to central ventilator; stone coping; original rainwater goods including hoppers dated 1925.

INTERIOR: plain cornices; timber dado panelling; decorative mounting to clock set in timber and glass screen wall.

Low brick boundary wall with moulded stone coping to street; gatepiers and ironwork missing.

Statement of Interest

Haxton also designed the Methil Miners' Welfare (now the Community Centre).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.