This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.7125 / 56°42'45"N
Longitude: -2.4606 / 2°27'38"W
OS Eastings: 371900
OS Northings: 757966
OS Grid: NO719579
Mapcode National: GBR VY.F2KJ
Mapcode Global: WH8RK.5JJY
Plus Code: 9C8VPG7Q+2Q
Entry Name: Works, Bent's Road, Montrose
Listing Name: Bents Road, Montrose Ropeworks, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 11 June 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 383363
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38182
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Montrose and District
Traditional County: Angus
1789 with 19th and 20th century additions. Long single storey ropework, rubble stone wall to 1 side, brick to other, 7-bay section to W and adjoining 2-storey rubble stone buildings with recent dry-dash.
Originally 400 ft long. N wall rubble stone, S wall brick, irregular fenestration, blocked openings. 7-bay section to W with 6 windows, 1 door and raised roof.
Timber-mullioned bipartite windows, 4-pane. Grey and pink slate pitched roof to W, corrugated roofing material further E in ruinous state with Sections missing.
INTERIOR: in disrepair. Flooring to W by tar barrel staves, original whalebone rests let into N wall survive.
Section to E; adjoining and connecting with ropework, 6-bay 1st floor, 2 windows and door at ground, flat-roofed addition to rear, forestair to left. Centre section; 3-bay ground floor with central 2-leaf workshop doors and flanking windows, 2 timber-mullioned bipartites at 1st floor, entrance in return to right from forestair, N wall brick built. Piended section to W; door and window at ground, window at 1st floor, brick built N wall.
4-pane timber-framed windows. Recent grey slate pitched roofs. Stone skews and capped stack to W.
BOUNDARY WALLS: brick boundary walls to W and at entrance to SW.
Ropework or "Rope Walk" was originally an open working space with shelter provided only by the N wall. The S wall was later added and a roof provided. The 2-storey buildings were rebuilt after a fire circa 1935, and the E section raised to 2 storeys. The length of the walk at approximately 400ft corresponds with a single rope being 70 fathoms long. Now a sail maker's works, most of rope walk disused.