This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7917 / 55°47'30"N
Longitude: -3.9927 / 3°59'33"W
OS Eastings: 275157
OS Northings: 657174
OS Grid: NS751571
Mapcode National: GBR 01KG.DP
Mapcode Global: WH4QQ.MPYC
Plus Code: 9C7RQ2R4+MW
Entry Name: Manse, Dalziel North Parish Church, 78 Muir Street, Motherwell
Listing Name: Motherwell, 78 Muir Street, Gospel Literature Outreach Centre (Formerly Dalziel Free Church) Including Church Hall, Manse and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 28 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 383447
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38244
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Motherwell and Wishaw
County: North Lanarkshire
Town: Motherwell And Wishaw
Electoral Ward: Motherwell South East and Ravenscraig
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Henry F Kerr, 1916. 2-storey, square-plan, shallow domed Byzantine inspired church. Bell tower to NW corner, raised portico to W. Squared and tooled yellow sandstone, bull-faced to W elevation and bell tower with ashlar margins to openings. Base course, narrow eaves course, projecting modillioned cornice; predominantly semicircular arch windows.
W (PRINICPAL) ELEVATION: broad, 2-leaf door to centre of 3-bay block, flanking Ionic columns supporting entablature with shouldered segmentally-arched pediment, flanking double bays with small semicircular-arched windows. Quadrant arcades to returns; steps to columns supporting entablature, Byzantine foliate capitals. Recessed 2nd storey; tripartite window to centre with corbelled engaged columns to mullions, flanking pilasters, entablature supporting dentil moulded pediment breaking eaves. Battered 2-stage, square-plan stair tower to SW corner, oculus to 2nd stage, bipartite semicircular arch window to right return. 5-stage bell tower to NW corner; door to right return of 1st stage, small window to return of 2nd stage; bipartite windows to 3rd stage; large bipartite windows to 4th stage, rectangular belfry opening to 5th stage supported by squat columns and entablature; dentil moulded projecting cornice; semicircular dome, cross finial.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey, advanced gabled bay to centre; small lean-to addition to right return; single storey-piended advanced bay to left return. Single windows to outer bays.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled entrance porch to centre left, flanking windows, tripartite window to far right, bell tower to NW corner.
S (SIDE)ELEVATION: gabled entrance porch to centre right, flanking windows, tripartite window too far left, stair tower to SW corner.
Predominantly plate glass sash and case window, 8 fixed 6-pane oculi to dome. Grey slates, lead flashing, tarred felt-roofing to dome. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: square, open-plan interior, central dome supported on 8 columns with Byzantine foliate capitals. Upper floor installed within original double height crossing.
CHURCH HALL: Robert Harvie, 1907. 2-storey, 7-bay, rectangular-plan, classical hall and offices with piended roof. Squared and snecked yellow sandstone with ashlar margins and ashlar to outer left bay. Base course, continuous cill course to ground and 1st floor windows, projecting cornice. Regular fenestration, symmetrical to axis of central small, nepus gable; semicircular arched door to 2nd bay from outer right, bipartite windows to central and outer bays. Slightly advanced pedimented bay to outer left; projecting quoins; architraved door to centre, letterbox fanlight, flanking narrow windows; semicircular window, blocked architrave with projecting keystone. Harled blind gable ends, large single storey, gabled hall adjoining to rear, and Diocletian windows to gable ends.
MANSE: Mid 19th century. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular plan, symmetrical, gabled manse. Squared and tooled sandstone coursers. Base course, eaves course, cornice and blocking course; projecting cornice to central door; architraved margins to openings, regular fenestration except bipartite window to ground floor right, irregular to rear. 2-storey, stair tower and single storey piended addition to SE. Grey slates. 4-pane PVCu sash and case effect windows. Coped gable stacks cast-iron rainwater goods.
BOUNDARY WALL: squared and tooled sandstone coursers, saddleback coping.
In semi-ecclesiastical use. Originally Dalziel UF church built to replace Dalziel Free Church, the church hall and manse predating the present church. It became Dalziel North Church of Scotland in 1929 and was vacated in 1973 when the congregation amalgamated with Dalziel Parish Church. It is currently leased to the evangelical Gospel Literature Outreach Centre who have renovated the principal buildings in the group and restored and converted the church building itself into a lecture theatre and cafe. Formerly listed as Dalziel North Church. The first Byzantine revival church in Scotland was St Sophia in Galston, of circa 1885, though the tradition continued erratically into the 1920s, as at St Peters, Linlithgow, of 1928.
Other nearby listed buildings