History in Structure

Old Parish Church, Academy Street, Nairn

A Category A Listed Building in Nairn, Highland

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 57.5837 / 57°35'1"N

Longitude: -3.8762 / 3°52'34"W

OS Eastings: 287916

OS Northings: 856405

OS Grid: NH879564

Mapcode National: GBR J8SP.558

Mapcode Global: WH4G2.FND3

Plus Code: 9C9RH4MF+FG

Entry Name: Old Parish Church, Academy Street, Nairn

Listing Name: Academy Street, Old Parish Church

Listing Date: 12 March 1981

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 383755

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB38400

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200383755

Location: Nairn

County: Highland

Town: Nairn

Electoral Ward: Nairn and Cawdor

Traditional County: Nairnshire

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


John Starforth, 1893-7. Large double cruciform 1st pointed Gothic Church. 4 stage tower (100 feet high) with stepped angle buttresses at east containing main entrance divided by central trumeau and enriched with carved tympanum under gabled porch.

Triple light to 2nd stage; paired light to 3rd; 3 louvred belfry lights to each face, crenellated parapet. Tower flanked by 2 storey circular stairtowers with conical slate roofs. Body of church symmetrical with wide buttressed and pinnancled canted gables, 2 bays and wide gable "transept"; gabled west elevation. 1, 2, 3 and 5-light lancets, some cusped to both ground and gallery. Steeply pitched slate roof with tile cresting.

All bullfaced rubble with ashlar dressings.

Interior: near triangular plan with horse-shoe shaped gallery to three sides; original pine fittings exist; panelled front

to gallery, pews, bowed panelled doors, ornate pulpit. Pine braced rafter roof springing from stone corbels enriched with stiff leaf decoration.

Font: Andrew Davidson, Rome (sculptor). White Carrara and greenish Siena marble, 3'4" high octagonal basin supported by pillarets on octagonal base.

Stained glass: in west wall by John Hardman's studios, 1932 and 1942. South transept by Douglas Strachan, circa 1946, as memorial to W R Pirie and grandson.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Font gifted in 1899.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.