History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

30 St Peter Street, St Mary's R.c. Church

A Category B Listed Building in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.5058 / 57°30'20"N

Longitude: -1.7826 / 1°46'57"W

OS Eastings: 413125

OS Northings: 846199

OS Grid: NK131461

Mapcode National: GBR P8YW.HZD

Mapcode Global: WHBQ8.LLCV

Entry Name: 30 St Peter Street, St Mary's R.c. Church

Listing Date: 15 February 1982

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 385618

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39818

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Peterhead

County: Aberdeenshire

Town: Peterhead

Electoral Ward: Peterhead North and Rattray

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Peterhead

Description

1850-1. Early English, Pointed Gothic, Roman Catholic Church (former chapel and presbytery) forming L-plan. Harled rubble with ashlar dressings. PRINCIPAL (NW) ELEVATION: Chapel: Three lancet window to centre with crocketted pinnacles to angle-buttresses at corners. Cross finial at apex. Canted entrance bay at re-entrant angle to right with swept gable to angled porch and cross finial at apex; buttressed and pedimented doorpiece. Later meeting hall addition to rear (SE) elevation.

Timber frame windows. Ashlar skews. Grey slate. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Interest

Place of worship in use as such. St Mary's Roman Catholic Church is a small, well-detailed example in the early English style set back from the street, with prominent crocketted pinnacles and buttressed corner angles adding interest to the streetscape.

The Ordnance Survey map of 1868 depicts the chapel and presbytery with formal garden to front and notes seating for 200. The building was remodelled during the late 20th century with the entrance porch reconfigured and enlarged to provide a canted entrance across the re-entrant angle. The former presbytery adjoining the chapel was also remodelled to form a single open space within the church.

Possibly built by Bishop James Kyle who officiated at the opening. He designed a number of Roman Catholic in the Banff and Aberdeenshire areas during the early to mid 19th century.

Formerly listed as 'St. Peter's R.C. Church and Presbytery 30 St. Peter Street'. Statutory address revised and notes updated, 2013.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.