Latitude: 56.7024 / 56°42'8"N
Longitude: -3.7327 / 3°43'57"W
OS Eastings: 294003
OS Northings: 758084
OS Grid: NN940580
Mapcode National: GBR KC40.BVG
Mapcode Global: WH5MJ.MSQQ
Plus Code: 9C8RP728+XW
Entry Name: Old Institute, Atholl Road, Pitlochry
Listing Name: 51 Atholl Road Including Ancillary Building
Listing Date: 9 June 1981
Category: C
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 385717
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39851
Building Class: Cultural
ID on this website: 200385717
Location: Pitlochry
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Pitlochry
Electoral Ward: Highland
Traditional County: Perthshire
Tagged with: Architectural structure
J Murray Robertson of Dundee, dated 1895. 2-storey and basement (raised to sides and rear), 5-bay, rectangular-plan Institute converted to office premises, with ogee-capped corner towers. Squared and coursed rubble with droved ashlar dressings. Band courses. Segmental-headed door with voussoirs. Chamfered arrises and stone mullions.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay with steps up to panelled timber door with flanking narrow lights and depressed arch fanlight (all glazed), carved panel above with monogram 'RBW' and dated '1895', single window to 1st floor; each floor of flanking bays with tripartite window to right and single window to left of centre, round towers to outer bays each with 2 windows to each floor.
SE ELEVATION: 4 windows to ground, and 2 further windows grouped toward centre at 1st floor; dominant wallhead stacks to flanking centre; round tower to outer right see above.
NW ELEVATION: blank raised basement with window to centre bay at ground, small opening immediately to right and bipartite window to outer right; windows to centre and outer right bays at 1st floor.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: asymmetrical elevation with variety of elements including door with plate glass fanlight in bay to left of centre at basement.
Largely 10-pane glazing pattern, with plate glass glazing to ground NE, all in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped and shouldered ashlar wallhead stacks.
INTERIOR: timber dog-leg staircase with carved finials; plain cornices.
ANCILLARY BUILDING: single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, piend-roofed ancillary (former hall) with small round, conical-capped ridge ventilator linked to Institute by lower piend-roofed bay. 3 timber sash and case windows to SE and 2 to SW, all with 4-pane glazing pattern.
The Institute was a gift to the people of Pitlochry from Mrs Barbour of Bonskeid in memory of Rev Robert Barbour of Bonskeid, Free Church minister. The almost square-plan building was described in a newspaper article of 1894 (Huie) with "frontage of 55 feet, and ... 50 feet in width. In the basement comfortable quarters are provided for a caretaker. On entering the Institute by the main doorway, the visitor finds himself in a hall, on either side of which are refreshment room, with service pantry adjoining; ladies' room, caretaker's office, kitchen and scullery, cloak-room, and lavatory accommodation." The first floor had a billiard room, committee room and reading room, and by "removing a partition the Committee-room and reading-room can be converted into a gymnasium", with a "neat and roomy apartment being provided for lovers of the weed". The building was heated by steam and was built at a cost of between £2000 and £3000. The Institute was used as a restaurant and cafe after WWII, and converted to offices in the mid 1960s. Until 1981 the town library was housed in the ancillary building.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings