This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5569 / 55°33'24"N
Longitude: -2.836 / 2°50'9"W
OS Eastings: 347361
OS Northings: 629566
OS Grid: NT473295
Mapcode National: GBR 84M5.TT
Mapcode Global: WH7WV.DLRB
Plus Code: 9C7VH547+QH
Entry Name: Riverside Mills, Dunsdale Road, Dunsdale Haugh, Selkirk
Listing Name: Dunsdale Road, Riverside or Dunsdale Mill
Listing Date: 12 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 386524
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB40577
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Selkirkshire
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Original mill 1837, T-plan with wheel and mill house to rear and long 2-storey hand-loom shops (now R and D Workshops and offices) to street. New mill 1863-5 with engine, willey and boiler houses and small weaving shed to front. Whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings and slate roofs.
A: ORIGINAL SPINNING MILL: 3-storey and attic, 17-bay front, 9-bay rear wing with spartan fenestration to ground floor wheelhouse. Gabled stair tower at NE re-entrant angle. Single storey 2-bay M-roofed milling house (later joiners/maintenance workshop) added to rear circa 1863-65. 4-pane window.
INTERIOR: timber cross beams on square timber locations of mule headstocks. Collar-beam roof, some skylights slated over. Wheels at ground floor of rear wing replaced by twin Leffel turbines in 1871 (not seen, 1996).
B: NEW MILL: 3-storey, 4- by 16-bay. 8 bays to E built 1863, 8 bays to right added 1865 to either side of advanced gabled stair tower with large fanlight oculus. SW gable inscribed WT 1865. Slits in N gable. M-roof behind gable parapets pierced for drainage from valley. Modern fire escape, awning, lean-to at SW gable and 1st floor link to old mill. Sash and case windows, 20-pane glazing pattern. INTERIOR: timber beams on 3 rows of spigoted cast-iron columns. Timber newel stair.
C: BATCHING OIL STORE: small single storey and attic; altered to canteen with modern fenestration.
D: FORMER ENGINE, WILLEY AND BOILER HOUSE (NOW ENGINE SHOP): L-plan, beam engine house at angle with very tall round-headed window, dentil course and cast-iron roof tank. 2-storey and attic 2- by 5-bay boiler house to W ground floor gable arches behind later lean-to. Single storey piend-roofed willey house over lade. Modern 2-storey addition to W. INTERIOR: cast-iron framed and stone flagged platform on original beam engine entablature, with slot for 22 foot beam, parallel motion brackets, decorative stair and railings. Ceiling hooks. Perforated iron floor to drying room over boiler house.
E: SMALL 4-BAY POWER LOOM WEAVING SHED: later a wool store, with 2-storey 5-bay rear. Harled elevation to street. Piended roofs. Simple single storey offices to NE with early 20th century gabled extension and an enlarged window.
F: R AND D WORKSHOP AND OFFICES: probably former hand-loom shops. 2-storey, 12-bay with 6-bay addition in same style. Ground floor windows blocked. Iron tie-plates. Stack to harled gable, site of demolished lodge. Modern 1st floor line to dyehouse.
Mistakenly named Linglie Mill in the original SDD list. One of the first 3 water-powered mills in Selkirk. Founded as Dunsdale Mill by
J and R Inglis and R Haldane of Galashiels, let to Wilson and Watson of Hawick and then Waddel and Turnbull, "first rate producers of heavily milled tartans" (Bremner). The latter became proprietors in 1863, made large additions and added steam power. In 1909, the spinning mills passed to Brown and Allen, who brought the name Riverside Mill from their old mill, now Whinfield Mill. Laidlaw and Fairgrieve of Ladehope Mill, Galashiels, took over in 1971 and still use it. Spinning ceased in 1984 and mules were removed in 1988, when the old mills were converted primarily to storage. A shortened Platt mule is used for samples. The engine house is perhaps the most intact in the Borders. The modern dyehouse and warehouse to NE are not of special architectural or historic interest.
Other nearby listed buildings