History in Structure

33, 35, 37 Kinnessburn Road, St Andrews

A Category C Listed Building in St Andrews, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.3364 / 56°20'11"N

Longitude: -2.7994 / 2°47'57"W

OS Eastings: 350674

OS Northings: 716295

OS Grid: NO506162

Mapcode National: GBR 2R.4M0Y

Mapcode Global: WH7RZ.ZZ3S

Plus Code: 9C8V86P2+H6

Entry Name: 33, 35, 37 Kinnessburn Road, St Andrews

Listing Name: 31, 33, 35 and 37 Kinnessburn Road (Former 1-3 Fleming Place) Including Ancillary Structure and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 8 June 1978

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 386996

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB40913

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200386996

Location: St Andrews

County: Fife

Town: St Andrews

Electoral Ward: St Andrews

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
St Andrews


Late 18th to early 19th century with later additions and alterations (see Notes). 2-storey and attic, L-plan house, subdivided into flats. Situated in strategic street location with prominently positioned gables. Squared and snecked sandstone to S and E elevations with painted margins, rubble to rear. W elevation with inscribed stone panel with "FLEMING PLACE" and stone shield to gablehead. Later brick gabled extension to N.

S (STREET) ELEVATION: re-entrant angle with panelled timber doors with rectangular glazed fanlights to ground and 1st floors, the upper reached by forestair oversailing ground floor.

E (GARDEN) ELEVATION: 3-bay with near central tall entrance with 8-pane rectangular glazed fanlight to 1st floor, reached by forestair; off-centre flat-roofed dormer-headed window breaking eaves above; further flat-roofed dormer to right. To left, single bay with window to ground and 1st floor. To right single bay with window at 1st floor and flat-roofed modern extension projecting from ground floor.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates with 2 non-traditional rooflights. Large coped ashlar gable end stacks and single stack to rear with cans. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts to W gable. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: rectangular plan sandstone rubble outbuilding to E with piended pantiled roof. Boarded timber door to E. To W elevation part-glazed timber door and window. Part brick and sandstone coped stack with can to SE corner.

GARDEN AND BOUNDARY WALLS: to S. Low coped sandstone section of wall with railings. To right high coped sandstone rubble section of garden wall leading to outbuilding. Second high section of wall running N from brick extension to NW.

Statement of Interest

Sited to the south of the medieval city walls and the Kinness Burn, 31-37 Kinnessburn Road has a prominent position in the streetscape. Its distinctive gables add much character to the Kinnessburn area.

It is likely that the original building had a gable end facing the street and this was added to with a further 2-bay gabled section creating an L-plan when viewed from the street. Map evidence (Ordnance Survey Town Plan 1854) suggests this addition is pre-1850s. Later additions to the N and E have again altered the plan of the building without significantly affecting its elevations.

Given its location outside the city walls the building does not appear on John Wood's 'Plan of the City of St Andrews' dated 1820. The buildings grouped around Fleming Place, including 31-37 Kinnessburn Road (the name dates from the 20th century, previously this street was known as Fleming Place Road) first appear on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map of 1852-5. This complex of buildings was associated with a flax spinning mill which occupied the site in the early 19th century; a position where it could access the water supply from the Lade Braes north of the Kinness Burn or direct form the burn itself. Subsequently the site was purchased by John Fleming (a china and stoneware merchant) in 1849 who converted the buildings on the site into flats bearing his name. This period (1840s) is a possible date for the L-plan extension.


External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.