This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.964 / 56°57'50"N
Longitude: -2.2102 / 2°12'36"W
OS Eastings: 387314
OS Northings: 785879
OS Grid: NO873858
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QQG
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.07S5
Entry Name: 19 Ann Street
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387830
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41538
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Earlier 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay, terraced house. Coursed squared rubble with projecting stone cills.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: modern timber door to right at ground, blocked door immediately to left and original shop(?) window beyond to left; 2 windows to 1st floor and 4-part flat-roofed dormer window above.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows; multi-pane casements to dormer. Grey slates. Coped squared rubble stack with cans and thackstanes; ashlar-coped skews.
This building does not appear on Wood's 1823 Plan of Stonehaven, but extensive building in the area is indicated on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1867. In 1759 Robert Barclay of Ury purchased the estate of Arduthie for £1500 with the intention of developing a 'planned town' separated geographically from the Old Town and harbour by the Carron Water, and bordered to the north by the Water of Cowie. Building of the New Town, designed on an irregular grid-iron plan by his son Robert, commenced in 1797 with streets named after family members. The Market House (later Buildings) is sited in Barclay Square (later Market Square) with the principal streets, Allardice, Barclay and Ann running N-S and Cameron, Evan and Mary Streets running E-W; further minor links extend to both N and W. Feu purchasers were awarded privileges which included 'the right to quarry stones from the Brachans, the ridge of rocks projecting into the bay, peat from the moss and clay from the Milldens of Cowie' (Christie, p15). The first house, built on the north bank to the Carron and now demolished, was soon followed by those facing the Square and main streets.
Other nearby listed buildings