This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.964 / 56°57'50"N
Longitude: -2.2102 / 2°12'36"W
OS Eastings: 387315
OS Northings: 785885
OS Grid: NO873858
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QQF
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.07S4
Entry Name: 21 and 21a Ann Street
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387831
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41539
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Earlier 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay (above ground), terraced house (possibly former shop). Coursed squared rubble with projecting stone cills.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf panelled timber door and bipartite window to left at ground, further timber door with letterbox fanlight to right; 2 windows to 1st floor and 2 dormer windows above, that to left canted, that to right bipartite and piended.
4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped squared rubble stack with cans and thackstanes; ashlar-coped skew to S.
This building does not appear on Wood's 1823 Plan of Stonehaven, but extensive building in the area is indicated on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1867. In 1759 Robert Barclay of Ury purchased the estate of Arduthie for £1500 with the intention of developing a 'planned town' separated geographically from the Old Town and harbour by the Carron Water, and bordered to the north by the Water of Cowie. Building of the New Town, designed on an irregular grid-iron plan by his son Robert, commenced in 1797 with streets named after family members. The Market House (later Buildings) is sited in Barclay Square (later Market Square) with the principal streets, Allardice, Barclay and Ann running N-S and Cameron, Evan and Mary Streets running E-W; further minor links extend to both N and W. Feu purchasers were awarded privileges which included 'the right to quarry stones from the Brachans, the ridge of rocks projecting into the bay, peat from the moss and clay from the Milldens of Cowie' (Christie, p15). The first house, built on the north bank to the Carron and now demolished, was soon followed by those facing the Square and main streets.