This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9643 / 56°57'51"N
Longitude: -2.2107 / 2°12'38"W
OS Eastings: 387287
OS Northings: 785918
OS Grid: NO872859
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QM1
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.06KX
Plus Code: 9C8VXQ7Q+PP
Entry Name: Johnston Lodge, 26 Ann Street, Stonehaven
Listing Name: 26 Ann Street, Johnston Lodge
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387834
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41541
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Circa 1800. 2-storey and attic (possibly raised from single storey), 5-bay house (originally terraced pair) with corniced and columned doorpiece (see Notes), and Venetian window. Squared rubble (granite and sandstone), coursed rubble and harl; cement-rendered/concrete dressings. Architraved windows to ground. Mullions and some stop-chamfered arrises.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: door with columned doorpiece to left of centre, large tripartite windows to flanking bays, further door in bay to right with further tripartite beyond; 5 single windows to 1st floor and 3 dormers above, that to right canted, those to left and centre piended.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 bays to right with Venetian stair window at centre flanked by altered openings at ground and 2 windows at 1st floor; outshot bay to left centre with tall stair window, altered bay to left in re-entrant angle at ground and single window above.
Plate glass glazing in replacement windows. Grey slates. Coped squared rubble ridge stacks with full-complement of polygonal cans and thackstanes; ashlar-coped skews.
INTERIOR: mostly modern but with timber staircase, panelled reveals to dining room and coloured margins to Venetian stair window.
Formerly listed as 26 and 28 Ann Street, since combined and heavily repaired. At least part of Johnston Lodge was built as coach house and stables for nearby Arduthie House. Documents 'Raised by John Innes of Cowie for Robert Barclay Allardyce' dated 8 and 15 December, 1803 record land feued for '4 dwellings' in favour of Helen Young. These can be identified as Arduthie House, coach house, stables and further dwelling to rear. Although no record of the original structures on this site is available, it is possible that it was raised from a single storey building as there is an obvious change in stonework between floors on the principal elevation. The original listing describes the doorpiece 'incorporating pulvinated frieze to entablature'.
Other nearby listed buildings