This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9619 / 56°57'42"N
Longitude: -2.2089 / 2°12'32"W
OS Eastings: 387392
OS Northings: 785649
OS Grid: NO873856
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2YTZ
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.18DS
Plus Code: 9C8VXQ6R+QC
Entry Name: St Bridget's Hall, Dunnottar Avenue, Stonehaven
Listing Name: Dunnottar Avenue, St Bridget's Hall for Dunnottar Church Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387882
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41584
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
G P K Young, Perth, 1886. Arts and Crafts style church converted as church hall, with 6-bay buttressed nave, large shallow-pitched roof with canopied bell-housing, jerkinhead dormers and decoratively-finialled square-plan spirelet; piended session room and porch. Squared and snecked rubble with smooth ashlar dressings. Base course and cill course at gablehead window. Voussoired, round-headed door. 2-stage coped buttresses. Chamfered reveals, raked cills and timber mullions to cusped 3-light windows in rectangular openings. Modern flat-roofed hall.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with projecting 3-bay porch comprising round-headed window (altered from door) at centre, flanking 3-light windows and 2-light windows to returns, horizontal 5-light window in gablehead giving way to timber-bracketed and finialled bell-housing; bay to outer left with 2-light window and that to outer right with plain timber door and deep fanlight.
E (BRIDGEFIELD) ELEVATION: nave elevation with 3-light window to each bay and dividing buttresses. 2 3-light dormer windows above.
N (BRIDGEFIELD TERRACE) ELEVATION: piend-roofed session room projecting from gabled elevation.
W ELEVATION: 2 3-light windows to right with later gabled porch and hall projecting at left, 2 further 3-light. Dormer windows above.
Multi-pane leaded glazing with coloured glass. Slated roof with decorative terracotta ridge tiles and finials. Overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding.
INTERIOR: simple open timbered roof on stone corbels; moulded cornices, architraves, panelled round-headed doors and dado rails.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: low saddleback-coped rubble boundary walls with square-plan ashlar gatepiers and decorative ironwork gates.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. In 1885 it was decided by the Kirk Session of Dunnottar Parish Church that they needed a mission church to meet the needs of a growing population, mainly the fishing community of the Old Town. The cost of building was £1300, over half of which was met by funds raised at a two day sale of work. The Stonehaven Journal and Kincardineshire Advertiser of August 12, 1886, advertised the 'Dunnottar Mission Church Bazaar' to 'be opened on Thursday 19th August by J Badenach Nicolson, Esq of Glenbervie and on Saturday 21st August by Provost Wood, Stonehaven'. Items for sale included gilt chairs from Paris and a chest containing 40lb of tea grown on the Fetteresso Estate, Ceylon, as well as fish and livestock. The church of St Bridget was opened on January 25, 1888, it was rededicated in 1970 after conversion to a hall church, and is now used as Dunnottar Parish Church Hall. A photograph of the church interior before conversion to a hall church shows fixed timber pews, carved pulpit and large round-headed traceried window to the north wall (behind current stage). Accompanying some elegant decorative ironwork light fittings is a model fishing boat suspended above the nave, a reminder of the fishing community associated with the original Mission Church.
Other nearby listed buildings