This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9499 / 55°56'59"N
Longitude: -2.9564 / 2°57'23"W
OS Eastings: 340368
OS Northings: 673400
OS Grid: NT403734
Mapcode National: GBR 2K.Y1RW
Mapcode Global: WH7TV.KQC2
Entry Name: 252 Church Street
Listing Date: 30 March 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 388525
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42091
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Tranent, Wallyford and Macmerry
Traditional County: East Lothian
Late 18th century. 2-storey 3-bay house. Painted harling with painted ashlar dressings. Bays grouped towards centre with door widened later; windows flanking and window to each bay at 1st floor. Blank gable to SW; single storey cottage adjoined to NE gables. 12-pane glazing pattern in sash and case windows. Ashlar coped skews; end stacks; red pantiles.
RETAINING WALLS: high sandstone rubble retaining walls with rubble coping to N and W, on falling ground.
One of few remaining 18th century properties dating from Tranent's heyday as a mining burgh. It possibly served as the schoolmaster's house, or possibly even the school, as the 1853 OS map appears to mark the adjoining cottage as the school: if this is the case, then the high walls probably enclosed the playground.
Other nearby listed buildings