This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.971 / 55°58'15"N
Longitude: -4.5843 / 4°35'3"W
OS Eastings: 238815
OS Northings: 678347
OS Grid: NS388783
Mapcode National: GBR 0L.WVGG
Mapcode Global: WH3NJ.K56X
Entry Name: Renton, 123-127 Main Street, Central Bar
Listing Date: 23 February 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389230
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42928
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Leven
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Dated 1893. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan public house. Red sandstone ashlar. Eaves course; round-headed bipartite windows.
E (MAIN) ELEVATION: original shopfront, pilasters with bracketed pediment framing shopfront; fascia with modern plastic sign and lettering. 2 basket-arched entrances flanking tripartite group at centre of door and paired round-headed windows; cast-iron window guards. Modern door in outer left entrance; plain cast-iron gates at entrances. Armorial plaque at centre at 1st floor, 1893 datestone; modern illuminated projecting sign below. Flanking windows with blocking course above eaves, decorative applied console below cill.
INTERIOR: comprehensive Victorian decorative scheme and room plan. Intact off-sales compartment with timber panelled doors and coloured glass insets. Semi-circular panelled timber bar counter with brass hand rail. Gantry to rear wall with decorative Ionic columns and inset timber spirit barrels. Compartmented ceiling with Lincrusta panels and fine elaborate decorative dentilled cornice plasterwork Timber panelling to walls.
The Central Bar is a fine example of a late 19th century public house with a fine arcaded street elevation and a particularly good quality Victorian public bar. Externally, the arcaded ground floor with its cast-iron window guards and consoled cornice makes a distinctive addition to the streetscape of this main thoroughfare in Renton. The interior of the bar is a unusual near-intact survivor from the late 19th century and is notable in particular for its inset spirit casks and jug and bottle compartment, both of which are rare features. The completeness of the original decorative scheme adds significantly to the character of this building.
List description revised as part of Scotland's Historic Public House Thematic Study, 2007/08.
Category changed from C(S) to B in June 2008.
Other nearby listed buildings