History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Balbirnie Park, Walled Garden

A Category B Listed Building in Markinch, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2077 / 56°12'27"N

Longitude: -3.1442 / 3°8'38"W

OS Eastings: 329122

OS Northings: 702268

OS Grid: NO291022

Mapcode National: GBR 2B.DTVD

Mapcode Global: WH6RG.N7ZF

Entry Name: Balbirnie Park, Walled Garden

Listing Date: 1 March 1996

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 389274

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB42964

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Markinch

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch

Parish: Markinch

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Markinch

Description

Robert Robinson, 1784 86; altered 1863, possibly by David Bryce. Walled garden. Coped rubble walls with rounded corners, heightened and lined with coped brick to allow heating system (to N): polished ashlar and sandstone dressings.

N BOUNDARY: range of lean to rubble outbuildings with droved quoins, and 8 bay implement shed supported on 7 cast iron columns across centre and E of N elevation, pedestrian gate to W with hand bell. S elevation with late 19th century, lean to greenhouses (in poor condition) with small pane glazing pattern.

S BOUNDARY: widened opening at centre giving access to lower boundary wall beyond (see below) (some top courses to W missing).

W BOUNDARY: 2 leaf timber gate in round headed opening with rusticated quoins and voussoirs; monogrammed with entwined "B?s" (Balfour of Blbirnie) to E and decorative date panel to W.

E BOUNDARY: rubble over squared and coursed rubble. Abutting wall to E with large quoins (evidence of former doorway?).

OUTER BOUNDARY: to S and E, low coped rubble boundary wall with pyramidal coped ashlar pier to SW, and holly hedge. To N high terrace wall.

Statement of Interest

A walled garden was erected between 1784 and 1786, in accordance with 1779 plans by Robert Robinson, while David Bryce was working at Balbirnie House and South Lodge in the early 1860s. George Balfour worked in India from 1841 67, obtaining many plants for the park, including a large collection of rhododendrons. Photographs of the garden with glasshouses and arboretum are held at the NMRS. Some old fruit trees (apples, plums, cherries) remain with small areas of box hedging. Owned by Kirkcaldy District Council, the walled garden has deteriorated in recent years.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.