History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Library, 72 Lochend Road, Gartcosh

A Category C Listed Building in Gartcosh, Glenboig and Moodiesburn, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8886 / 55°53'18"N

Longitude: -4.082 / 4°4'55"W

OS Eastings: 269882

OS Northings: 668116

OS Grid: NS698681

Mapcode National: GBR 3Z.235M

Mapcode Global: WH4Q9.88G3

Plus Code: 9C7QVWQ9+C6

Entry Name: Library, 72 Lochend Road, Gartcosh

Listing Name: Gartcosh, Lochend Road, War Memorial Cottage, Gatepiers, Gates and Railings

Listing Date: 27 March 1996

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 389359

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43027

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cadder

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Gartcosh, Glenboig and Moodiesburn

Parish: Cadder

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Chryston

Description

Gavin Lennox, 1933. Single storey, irregular-plan cottage with gatepiers and inscribed panels built as war memorial nurses home.

Harl with ashlar dressings, piended slate roof with swept eaves. Timber sash and case windows, coped stacks.

FRONT ELEVATION: advanced crowstepped gable to centre with tripartite diocletian window; recessed bay to right with tripartite window; recessed bay to left with modern glazed addition in re-entrant angle masking original entrance doorway. Left return elevation blank; window to right return elevation.

INTERIOR: not seen.

GATEPIERS, GATES AND RAILINGS: 2 cream ashlar gatepiers with mannered caps and finials each with a plaque commemorating the dead of the First and Second World Wars; metal gates and serpentinata railings (mostly removed and currently replaced by out-of-character plastic fence).

Statement of Interest

Listed because it is a war memorial in the unusual form of a nurse's cottage. It was constructed at a relatively late date. COLVILLE'S MAGAZINE (the house magazine) of Colville and Sons Ltd, Archibald Russell Ltd, and Smith and McLean Ltd) records that of the estimated cost of ?800, ?500 was provided by the Benevolent Fund of Smith and McLean Ltd whose steel-sheet rolling mills provided most of the employment in the village. The remainder was raised by a general appeal. The memorial was dedicated on 11 November 1933.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.