History in Structure

Inniemore Lodge, Carsaig, Mull

A Category B Listed Building in Oban South and the Isles, Argyll and Bute

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.3239 / 56°19'25"N

Longitude: -5.9761 / 5°58'33"W

OS Eastings: 154264

OS Northings: 721712

OS Grid: NM542217

Mapcode National: GBR CDM0.3G4

Mapcode Global: WGZFL.59HW

Plus Code: 9C8P82FF+GH

Entry Name: Inniemore Lodge, Carsaig, Mull

Listing Name: Inniemore Lodge, Carsaig, by Pennyghael, Isle of Mull

Listing Date: 13 March 1996

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 389360

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43028

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200389360

Location: Kilfinichen and Kilvickeon

County: Argyll and Bute

Electoral Ward: Oban South and the Isles

Parish: Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon

Traditional County: Argyllshire

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


1877. Small rambling gabled 2-storey Baronial house with crenellated 3-stage stair tower. Squared, snecked and stugged cream sandstone ashlar with polished dressings.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4 broad bays; gabled with apex stacks with exception of stair tower. Set back entrance bay to centre right with projecting crenellated porch at ground; segmental-headed roll-moulded doorway with rope hoodmould with knotted label stops, flanked by narrow windows; 2 windows at 1st floor flanking armorial panel. Right bay aligned with porch with 2 windows at ground, 1 at 1st floor. Projecting stair tower to centre left with window at 1st stage, pair of narrow slit windows above flanking panelled date stone 1877, string course, small window at 3rd stage, corbelled cornice and crenellated parapet; flagpole to left springs from string course and pierces cornice. Left bay projecting with windows to both floors. Screen wall to single storey service court and wing to right, with door at centre.

W ELEVATION: broad 2-bay. Full-height canted window breaking eaves to left with string course above ground, cornice and crenellated parapet; bipartite window to right at ground, window breaking eaves at 1st floor with gabled dormerhead.

N ELEVATION: irregular 4-bay range to W with windows to each bay at ground and further glazed door; right bay with lopsided gable and apex stack, blank at 1st floor; remaining bays with 1st floor windows breaking eaves with gabled dormerheads. Projecting gabled bay to E with window displaced to right at both floors; W return with windows displaced to right. Wall to service court extends to E.

E ELEVATION: court elevation with gable at centre; irregular fenestration. Projecting single-storey piend-roofed service range.

Multi-pane timber glazing; variety of sash and case and casements. Ashlar coped skews, corbel skewputs to principal gables; coped ashlar stacks, some octagonal cans remain. Grey slates.

INTERIOR: not seen 1995.

Statement of Interest

Built for Alexander Maclean of Pennycross, as a replacement for nearby Carsaig House (sometimes known as Pennycross House- see separate listing).

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.