This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8903 / 55°53'25"N
Longitude: -4.3266 / 4°19'35"W
OS Eastings: 254593
OS Northings: 668796
OS Grid: NS545687
Mapcode National: GBR 048.AK
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.H6YS
Plus Code: 9C7QVMRF+49
Entry Name: Public Conveniences, 2 Anniesland Road, Anniesland, Glasgow
Listing Name: 2 Anniesland Road, Public Conveniences
Listing Date: 2 April 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389366
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43033
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Drumchapel/Anniesland
Traditional County: Renfrewshire
Pter Buchanan Cook, 1938. Cruciform block of public conveniences. Sandstone ashlar, base course, channelled masonry above, frieze, cornice and ashlar parapet with sections of balustrade.
4-bay elevations to N and S; rectangular porch projections in bays to W of centre, each with 3-light window strip below frieze and moulded doorways on returns (W to Ladies, E to Gents). Further 3-light strip in outer bays to W; 4-light strips in bays to E of centre; doors in bays to outer E, moulded surrounds. End elevations to E and W with 4-light strips.
Border-glazed, square, metal hopper windows. Panelled timber doors with plate glass fanlights.
INTERIOR: good period decorative scheme. Glazed enamel tiles to walls with timber wainscot rail under tiled frieze with coloured bands. 3-part mirrored recess with moulded timber colonnettes. Large circular wash basin at centre with ring of taps.
The public conveniences were probably built for Glasgow Corporation Tramways who commissioned designs for a much smaller convenience from Frank Burnet and Boston in 1914 (SRA 1914/307). These lavatories evidently replaced those erected by 1932, possibly those by Burnet and Boston.
They must have been Cook's first architectural work as he was conscripted by the Army and sadly captured by the Japanese in 1940, dying in 1943 while working on the Burma Railway.
Other nearby listed buildings