This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9844 / 55°59'3"N
Longitude: -4.5767 / 4°34'36"W
OS Eastings: 239343
OS Northings: 679816
OS Grid: NS393798
Mapcode National: GBR 0L.VXG1
Mapcode Global: WH3NB.NVT6
Entry Name: Alexandria, Bridge Street, Vale of Leven Baptist Church with Boundary Wall and Railings
Listing Date: 29 March 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389603
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43195
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Leven
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Earlier 19th century with alterations and additions in 1897. 2-storey, 3-bay, classical rectangular-plan church; painted stucco front with cement-rendered rear and side elevations. Angle pilasters, eaves band and cornice, blocking course, string course.
N (MAIN) ELEVATION: slightly advanced pedimented centrepiece; pilastered and corniced doorpiece, door narrowed, modern door with blind fanlight; wndow above, pediment with blind oculus at centre. Broad flanking bays, terminal pilasters; ground floor windows with aprons, now blocked with church signs. Windows symmetrically disposed at 1st floor.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: blank cement rendered.
12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate high peind roof, lead flashing, cast-iron rooflight
INTERIOR: not seen 1995.
BOUNDARY WALL AND RAILINGS: sandstone rubble wall with semi-cicrcular coping; low plinth ashlar wall with saddleback coping, cast-iron railings; later red brick wall.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church was built as the United Prsebyterian Church. It is shown on the 1st edition map.
Other nearby listed buildings