We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.989 / 55°59'20"N
Longitude: -2.8005 / 2°48'1"W
OS Eastings: 350159
OS Northings: 677628
OS Grid: NT501776
Mapcode National: GBR 2R.VLSP
Mapcode Global: WH7TQ.YQMM
Plus Code: 9C7VX5QX+JR
Entry Name: Coach House, Camptoun House
Listing Name: Camptoun House, with Coach House, Stables and Walled Garden
Listing Date: 12 August 1996
Category: B
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390063
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43535
Building Class: Cultural
Also known as: Camptoun House, Coach House
ID on this website: 200390063
Location: Haddington
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Parish: Haddington
Traditional County: East Lothian
Tagged with: Carriage house
Circa 1820, with later additions. 2-storey classical house, grey sandstone ashlar on principal elevations, lime-harled rubble to sides and rear with raised and droved ashlar margins.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: 3 symmetrical bays, central bay slightly advanced, cill course at 1st floor, plain cornice and blocking course. Central door 4-panelled (upper panels glazed) with borders-glazed fanlight and deeply moulded surround, 2 flanking windows. 3 windows to 1st floor.
W ELEVATION: 4 asymmetrical bays. S (right) section continues treatment of S elevation in 3-sided canted-bay, but with plain eaves. 3 further bays of 2 storeys each stepping down in height and receding slightly. Windows aligned vertically in each bay.
E ELEVATION: 2 symmetrical bays, broadly spaced. Ground floor window to N (right) is glazed, other 3 windows are blind.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: plain and irregular with exception of tall arched central stair window, multi-paned with coloured, patterned glazing. Single storey wash-house and brick-walled lean-to larder line passageway to concealed rear door. Narrow pointed archway crowned with carved rose finial frames pathway to E of wash-house.
All windows to main elevations timber sash and case, originally 12-pane but with several replacements in 4 pane plus horns, notably to front elevation.
All roofs piended, with leaded platform to main block, graded grey Scotch slate. 4 stacks, all ashlar with projecting blocking course below cope, original cans ornamental, several replacements.
INTERIOR: only partially viewed. Some features lost in 1990s dry rot treatment, otherwise substantially original if restrained, including original cornicing, doors, shutters and open banistered stairway behind entrance hall.
COACH HOUSE AND STABLES: to rear court (cobbled), all in random rubble with broached and droved dressings, grey Welsh slate roofs. Single storey coach house with segmental arch in gable (W) boarded and 2-leaved door, ashlar skew topped with thistle finial. Adjoins 2-storey Stable and Hayloft, gabled to W with ashlar skew and crescent finial, hipped to E and adjoining single storey Stables, piended to S. Original half-doors to stables, windows top-opening, boarded door to loft opening.
WALLED GARDEN: to N of main house, enclosed by wall varying from tall brick, tall rubble, at N to low-dressed stone at S with iron railing.
Referred to as "Campton" in OS 1854, in earlier maps (1773, 1799, 1832) as "Captainhead" (cf Campton-head). 1799 (Forrest) indicates "Threshing Wind Mill and Bone Crushing Mill" at farm steading. High-quality restoration work carried out since 1990, especially to coach-house, stables and walled garden. Campton Lodge is listed separately.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings